About Me

My photo
I am just a guy who uses fishing and playing guitar to keep myself sane...or at least try to.

Monday, April 28, 2008

Fiddleheads

Today was my opening day.


The actual opening day was last Saturday and I was forced to miss it due to work.
I couldn't spare any leave because of the pending arrival of the Nipper.
I start my official parental leave on June 26th ...and I can't wait.
The Storks ETA is June 15th.


Work has been bumming me out lately and the break is a very welcome one.
My scheduled return to work is March 11th 2009.

Fuck it...I am out.

I was sorry to miss the actual opener.

Even though the river on opening day is typically a horror show it is something of a tradition. I have been in a bit of a funk lately to say the least and my mood is such that I am painfully aware that there are a finite amount of Steelhead seasons and great moments should never be taken for granted.
We lost one member of our fishing group this year.
Terry was a great guy and I always enjoyed his company....except for when he was tuning me up at Euchre.
Rest in peace.


I usually share the opener with a great group of guys that have a sweet piece of property right on the river.There is more card playing and drinking than fishing during this gathering but I always have a good time.

Oh well....I can't play poker worth a shit and I am pretty sure that I will be able to make the Fall get together.

Today I faced the river at its worst.


The water was low and clear and the fish ... I am sure were shell shocked from the opener.
A cold front had pushed in and I was actually a little chilly this morning. The rain that had been forecast never really showed so the river is even worse now.



One lucky break for me was the complete lack of pressure today.

I saw a few familiar faces but it certainly wasn't the horror show that I had anticipated.


?
Where is everybody??
Maybe the poor conditions spooked everybody.
For the record I didn't miss them.
;O)

Maybe the Wendigo ate them all on the weekend



Anyway..
The fishing was tough but I managed.


As a matter of fact I did pretty good.
;o)
The fish were hot....like greased lightening hot.

I hadn't fished that much lately and it felt nice.

..really lifted my spirits in fact.

The woods in the spring are a revelation.
Trilliums, Fiddleheads and Leeks...
The smell is terrific.



It was cool to connect with nature again.....all exept for the weasel I saw.


It reminded me of work.

(BTW...my elbow is screwed)

10 comments:

Chinook7 said...

What a lovely recount, post spawn fish, flora that only a homo would contemplate eating, provinical flowers....and best of all, a photo of me from five years ago, knew that would come back to haunt me!

That is fair play though, due to all of the ones I have on FB, the best of which is an age enhanced version of how the GNorland will look.....

LOLz,

J

Trotsky said...

I love that picture.
That was a fun day full of laughs.
I have the age enhanced version of me currently as my screen saver.
:o)

Trotsky said...

BTW...
...and for the record I get a little freaked out in there from time to time.
..particularly on those desolate late fall early winter days when you are completely alone.
There is a great rumour floating about that there is a big cat that lives in that bush....like a Puma or some shit.
One guy swears he saw it chasing a deer this year.
All I know is that there have been moments on the river where I am sure that I was being watched and on the hike in early in the morning I am wary.

lambton said...

Homo's...the lot-o-ya
The only Cougar up there works at the N & T

Wallacio said...

You two and your Boogey Men...next year you should always fish together so that you may hold hands on the hike in so that the "Wendigo" doesn't get you!

Trotsky said...

Nice... this coming from the sniffers of Shrew...
Eat me dead bear

PaulGHurtubise said...

The Wendigo looked like he'd already taken a bite... I agree with Wallacio. You should hold hands to feel safer, and be ultra safe: fish that way too. Glad you had a good opener, Gene :)

Trotsky said...

Oh yeah...laugh it up....until I 'm digesting in a mountain lions guts one day!!!

Chinook7 said...

Suggestion: how about the ones who make the jeering comments link arms, and I'll take up position in the treestand located on the North side.....lolZ

Trotsky said...

Thats the spirit!!!!
Bwuhahahahah
Derby starts tomorrow...let the carnage begin!