About Me

My photo
I am just a guy who uses fishing and playing guitar to keep myself sane...or at least try to.

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Coho's?


I was given a wonderful gift today.
I got to the river this morning about an hour before sun up , which is my usual play, ...teetering on the brink of a psychotic episode. I had spent the entire previous day looking after both of my kids who were both sick and I had finished off a week of work that had grated on my nerves so bad that the help wanted sign at the local Tim Hortons had me raising my eyebrows. The stress was consuming me. I needed a break badly and compassion aside, nursing sick youngens isn't exactly what I would call a soothing experience. In the middle of the day yesterday I had to deal with a diaper change that quite literally challenged my domestic convictions.....I kept looking over my shoulder at the door to the outside world...it was classic fight or flight....I chose to fight...and what a fight!
How something that foul can come from something that cute I will never understand.
:o/
....we were all glad to see mommy when she got home from work
Kimi must have sensed that I was hurtin' because she gave me the green light to fish today with out even so much as a perfunctory token guilt-trip. She will never realize what fishing means to me or what a wonderful gesture that was.
By the time the sun came up on my little stretch of heaven I was already laughing inside at the things that were weighing down on me. Christ....we are all going to die some day ....shame on me for letting things that shouldn't matter at all get to me. It is very strange that it is so much easier to slide into this mindset on the river than anywhere else.
I have tried to explain to my Wife what fishing provides for me .....how it is essential to my 'sane' existence ,but even though she tolerates my passion with a mixture of amusement and fear it is doubtful that she'll ever understand truly how much I rely on it to maintain my spirit and mental health.
I can only imagine that I get from a day on the river what most people of faith get from Church.
Todays fishing was a benediction.
The river was 'Low and Clear'... two ugly words if you are a Steelheader.
This was fine by me......I have fished it this way before and can approach these conditions with some confidence.
It was a perfect November day.
Slightly overcast ...a little nippy in the morning and damp.....and the best part was I didn't see a soul the entire time I was fishing.
I did see two skunks...closer than I would've liked....a fox,hawk and another giant Buck whitetail that obviously was a little faster than the inbred militia from last week.
Lost a huge fish right off the hop but quickly made up for it by landing the next ten.
Man the fish look so healthy this year ....very encouraging.
Shut 'er down at about 3'ish and began my hike out. On the way out I realized two things,....I missed my kids and I was looking forward to work.
I was regrouped and reloaded.....
I feel bad for people who don't have this as an option.I suppose the world would be a better place if everyone fished.This is an over-simplification but it sounds good.
...just so long as they don't fish my river.
At the spot where I parked I bumped into a local ''fisherman''.....complete with beer in hand.
He was kind enough to inform me that "all the 'bows' people think they bin catchin' are actually 'Coho's'.....just look at the gums dude".
I told him that sadly,I hadn't seen a Coho for a long time and wished him luck.
I also fantasised about punching him right in the throat.
Thanks be to the river.
Off to NY tomorrow.......

7 comments:

lambton said...

Glad to hear you had another great day you pathetic POS ;O)
Can't wait to hear about how many NY'ers you wanted to punch in the throat.

lambton said...

Glad to hear ya had another great day on my river you pathetic POS;O)

Nice pic. Very big Coho for the Bighead.

Chinook7 said...

Cohos...I wish. The last time I encountered those in any measurable number was on the 3rd Concession, 9 Mile in Oct. 2002.

Hit a bloody amazing brace of vermillion and black coloured fish that day, but only one since then.

Perhaps your "friend" on the river was simply passing Bopes off as Coho as a justification for keeping them, seen many "Bopes on Ropes" on Huron Rivers this fall, sadly.

For the record, I love your writing, I wish I could be more emotive and less mechanical in mine.

Sincerely,

Joe

lambton said...

Wow, Nice hen!!!
Glad to hear ya had a great day without me you SOB!
The Bighead is fishing awesome this year! Coho's a plenty.
How does one acquire the skill to fish a 13' rig with centrepin while drinking a cold one.
Damn Circus Bears!

Trotsky said...

In my darkest moments I actualy wish that an IQ test or at least some type of respect/apptitude test had to be passes in order to fish for these magnificent fish.
Of course I would fail....but it would be worth it to spare them the indignity of being caught by turdballs who can't even recognize them for what they are.ugh
I know . Lighten up....I've been trying my whole life.
Thx for the kind words Joe....sorry about the spelling....I am a moron and a lazy one at that.

PaulGHurtubise said...

Love your blog, Trotsky.

"she gave me the green light to fish today with out even so much as a perfunctory token guilt-trip. She will never realize what fishing means to me or what a wonderful gesture that was."

You speak for me, two. And I do mean "two," as in twins. So figuratively, I live in the same place as you. Thanks for that insightful statement! :)

p.-

Trotsky said...

Thx...
Broke my wrist today at work....can't type very well at the moment.
:o/
How was my day?