About Me

My photo
I am just a guy who uses fishing and playing guitar to keep myself sane...or at least try to.

Monday, January 15, 2007

Doldrums....


When the fishing fever first took me I wanted to fish for everything...all the time.
No fish was safe!
The end of each season only brought about the beginning of another with each one overlapping into a whole years worth of one seamless mutli-species fishing trip.
My poor Wife.
Of course each individual species of fish would require its own specialized gear as well.....everything from Boats pulling riggers and dipsey divers to size 26 midge hooks made in Japan.
I can clearly recall rationalizing this expenditure to myself and more importantly to my wife.,...the idea being that if I was going to make a pastime out of pestering these beautiful animals by fishing for them I had a moral obligation to use the proper gear in order to obtain the maximum amount of pleasure from the experience..
...otherwise it just isn't fair to the fish you see.
?
It is frightening to think that I may have actually believed this.
Somewhere along the line I 'got real'.
I am proud, as well as surprised to say I no longer even own a single spinning real (egg beaters) and that if I want to do any open water fishing I'll be looking to hitch a ride with my father in law.
I still love nice gear....I mean who doesn't...but I have managed to narrow the pursuit down to two species and my collection of "fishing stuff" now reflects this.
It'll be Bluegill in the Spring and Steelhead in the Fall.lol
The gear has been liquidated.....'mostly'. I still have more floatreels that I will ever fish. I also may be the only person in existance that fishes for 'Gillies' with a 9ft GLX 3 wt. Some might equate that to hauling manure with a Lamborghini.
( I also have a 2wt 7 1/2 fter as a back-up....now 'that' is a fun rod at the ponds!)
The rest of the fish can breath a sigh of relief.... I have lost interest.
I am one for two in the new year. The one I beached was a pellet eating Steelhead from our local hatchery no doubt....I convince myself that this is 'sport' when I get stir crazy in the winter....but deep down inside I have that feeling...you know?
The Browns in the river can be fun if only because they are so few and far between and so incredibly beautiful. I blew a good one the other day and I was disappointed. It has been a while since I have captured a good photo of one of these neat looking fish and I hope to get one some internet fame before too long. There is a finite supply of these brutes and I am in a constant race with toxin craving meathunters and without the proper enthusiasm there is a great chance that I'll miss the opportunity...but who knows eh?
I had planned to fish today....braving the deep chill that has finally settled on the Sarnia area but my Wife who is a supply teacher got called to teach this morning early. Normally....or ab-normally..this would've sent me into a sulk...having to cancel my fishing plans in order to stay with the kids but this wasn't the case today. I am really diggin these kids lately and I am writing this during a Dora puzzle/ Star Wars Lego respite. Fun stuff!....sincerely.
...I will also admit that a part of me was relieved that I couldn' be out there.
Hmmmmmmmm?
:-/

13 comments:

BCM said...

"'Gillies' with a 9ft GLX 3 wt. Some might equate that to hauling manure with a Lamborghini"
nice analogy - I will never look at Bluegills the same again - :oD

I've also narrowed my focus over the past couple years. I guess not so much with the species, but moreso with the gear.

Steelhead/Migratory Browns in the fall on the pin. Steelhead in the early spring on the pin. Resident Browns, Brookies and the occasional Bass in the summer on the fly rod. I love the pin and fly rod!

I've held on to the egg-beaters though, as I sometimes have the urge to feel nostalgic.

Trotsky said...

"Some" might equate that...
I love little fish and Pumpkinseeds are really pretty.There is a little farm pond near hear that hold some that are pushing record size....which isn't saying much.lol
My father in law has ordered a new truck which means I am sure to be a deck hand on a number of downriggin forays to Lake O and E this summer. His boat is a 27 foot Rinker and the luxury will provide a funny contrast to my preferred way to fish but I would be lying if I said it wasn't fun.

SD said...

Gear...funny how it can amass to outlandish amounts huh?

I have more Centerpin gear, then should be logical or healthy for an individual to own.

I suppose I could narrow it down...sell off what i don't use regualarily & try to obtain back some funds..... but what fun would that be ??

Sometimes half the fun & adventure within the journey, is in the gear we use to obtain the result..

Coondog said...

You are getting old, my man! The Dora puzzle is undoubtedly yours.

Trotsky said...

Coondog....Old ...oh yes..smashed!
I'll never see forty.
Sd- You are off the charts nuts and everybody knows it.
The only thing that would bring me to the annual fishing shows would be if had your own booth showcasing your gear!
I might fish tomorrow just to spite myself...supposed to be like negative eight!
lol

SD said...

gklpuG:

There are others within our realm that we both know, that have far bigger collections of gear then I.. I'm a small player in the grand scheme ;o)

Trotsky said...

If I won the lottery I would create a float fishing museum.....I would hire you as a consultant!lol
Blizzard here....and I was all fired up to fish...unfortunately Kimi got called to teach again.
sigh..
Oh well ..we could use the dough.
:o/

Trotsky said...

GARNETS OWN BLOG!!!!!
...God help us all now.
I hope that there is no word limit with these things because I a sure he has a lot to say!
:o)

JOE MAMA said...

YOU FOCKER.......

I just have an account so I can comment on the blogs of you mofos....

I would have my own blog, but then people wouldn't ever read anyone else's blog and blogger would go under....and I can't afford a new keyboard after every post (I would burn it out)

Trotsky said...

lol....
Too bad...I am sure it would be a good read.
I keep hoping for one from J-Mike...

lambton said...

What???
No links...

JOE MAMA said...

http://jeanladouceur.blogspot.com/2007/01/hows-this-for-odd.html


HOMO....

lambton said...

Joe Mama's link???
Is this a pic of Robin Williams enjoying a fleet enema? Or is it that creepy Keebler elf that never got the gig?