About Me

My photo
I am just a guy who uses fishing and playing guitar to keep myself sane...or at least try to.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

This weeks trip...


It's a busy time of year and the only day I could squeeze in for fishing this week was today.
The water was low and the forecast called for freezing rain....but it was considerably warmer than last weeks misery.
I have been having slush nightmares.
For a change today I felt like I was fishing well....normally I feel like a buffoon out there.

Morin was chained to his desk so I was flying solo again. It suited me today anyway.
Hiking through the snow is one helluva workout and my legs are still cramping up.
Maybe I am an old geezer???

I had a pretty cool thing happen today.
The snow was falling hard and I was really concentrating on my float through this one stretch of water that I love to fish. The takes were very subtle and you had to really eye your float or you might miss a 'wiggle'. The opposing bank was covered with snow and the reflection on the water made seeing the float at the end of the drift difficult. I would strain my eyes so hard that they would begin to water...
Fun stuff.
Anyway....I was kind of in a Steelhead trance when out of the corner of my eye I noticed some movement. I slowly looked up to see a deer right across the river from me.

Cool.
I tried to get my camera out quietly enough not to spook it but ...it moved quite a distance away.
I still managed a few photos.
I love stuff like that.
As it turned out there were 6 or seven of them...all does by the look of it..moving together on the opposite bank.
Solitude.

Peace on the river.
Deep breaths of fresh air....
It is almost disappointing when the float goes down ..
Almost.
;o)
My Father-in-Law went without a Deer on this years hunt. They hunt about 10 kms from where we fish. I am not sure if I will share this little tale with him considering that I could've hit these deer with a rock.
lol

Back to work tomorrow.
I have been away from my team for almost two weeks..

... I kinda miss those knuckleheads.
Tired......Dog Tired...
Where is my Scotch?

8 comments:

lambton said...

Yes indeed...you are an old man. An old gay black cherry cheese eating, lawn clippings and tree bark ale drinking, old Homo of a smashed man.
Glad ya got into them.
I sold my soul to the man to better the establishment. The world needs more plastic :0/

Trotsky said...

Just keep making more pinkies...I lined the hell out of them with those bad boys.

lambton said...

You could always switch to Dew Worms ;0)

dharma bum said...

Sounds like a good day out there. Good on you for braving the elements and getting some beautiful fish. I'm with you though, the solitude is often more important than the bend in my rod... though the bend ain't bad either.

Trotsky said...

THx for the comments DB.
Our season is winding down here in ONT....and I will to too busy to do any fishy travel until after January.
I would be nice to take another coouple runs at 'em....but first I need to dig myself out of all this snow.
8o/

Trotsky said...

Looks like I am flying solo Tuesday morning ...if any you knuckleheads are interested in joining me..
gnorland@sympatico.ca

Jessi said...

hey, i know you can't change a lightbulb......but do you know how to work a shovel goddammit?!?!?!

i'm kidding ;) but let me tell you shovelling my driveway 4 times in one day sure made me miss garnet!

Trotsky said...

Nice....
I am a little sick of this white stuff myself...
The city snow plow actually got stuck at the end of our street....HOWS THAT!!!
They had to call someone to pull him out.