About Me

My photo
I am just a guy who uses fishing and playing guitar to keep myself sane...or at least try to.

Tuesday, February 03, 2009

#4 The Perfect Winter Buck From Home


Each fishing trip is special in its own right I suppose but it is a mystery sometimes why certain moments stand out from others.
I am a strange Cat...and I always have been.
One of the peculiarities I have when it comes to fishing is that although admittedly it is impossible not to enjoy a ridiculous double digit day when everybody is drillin 'em I always have a slight guilty feeling..or a feeling of disappointment.
Don't get me wrong... it is a feeling I can get over...rather quickly...lol
But it is there.
I have this knucklehead idea that each fish should be special...and sort of stand out on its own for you..at least for a moment.
Even the days where we've stood on them I have tried....quite often unsuccessfully...to give each fish its due.
...To take a moment after beaching each fish and just kind of relax and savour the moment instead of frantically searching through the vest for the bait that just worked so you can get back in there...
It is hard not to get caught up when the fishing is crazy hot ...but to me it is poison. The day becomes a blurr.
You end up thinking about the next trip on the drive home instead of appreciating the one you'd just finished and in the process losing all of its healing powers. A great fishing day really adds to the quality of my life and I think that even my wife recognizes now that I am a better person after a great day on the water.
The trick is figuring out what exactly a great day is and having the discipline to go and find it....
I love this fish.
I am fond of saying that this was the perfect winter buck.

...and it was flawless. Beautiful spots , great colours, perfect white tipped fins and prodigious strength.
Pound for Pound one of the strongest ...
But going back through my pics for this little winter project has made me realize that there have been a number of similar fish...
But I don't remember them...
It was easy to remember this fella...
#4

This was the only fish we got that day...and it didn't come easy.
It was a cold...very cold ...and slow day.
I can still picture the float giving just a wiggle in the tail out and the lethargic head shakes before the fish came alive for us....

...The pain in my frost bitten hands working to undermine my patience...lol
So overwhelmed by the moment that I set the Islander down in the water...which I am sure was the end of my trotting for the morning.
Great fish.
Maybe because it was the only one?
Or maybe a slow day is sometimes a gift to set you straight.

5 comments:

Harv said...

Nice fish G!! Wicked spot configuration that one.

Once again buddy, great account of the fish and interesting perspective on fishing.

That last pic looks a lot like the Trailer Park...?????

Harv

Trotsky said...

Trailer park?
No no... that is way up on the White in Michigan.
;o)
Thanks for the comments...
When I get the extra dough I am going to have Advanced do a replica of that fella too!!!
lol

lambton said...

You should get Advanced to do a replica of that corn on the cob you have rammed up your ass you freak! Just don't hang it on the wall anywhere I'm gonna see it :o(

I'm back Bitch! Did ya miss me?
You know what...it's friggin cold here :0(

I remember that fish well but for different reasons. We fished our asses off (as always) and equally froze our asses off that morning. Thus the snow bank on my shoulders.
Some things I never remember and some I never forget and that morning it was ball freezing cold!
You earned that memorable encounter.

Trotsky said...

Welcome back!!
Man this going back to work stuff really hugs nut...
I am already starting to lose it...
:o/

lambton said...

Hang in there dude. Only 25-30 more years of it... :0(

It's always nice to be off from work but away for too long can be detrimental upon your return. Best remedy...dive in balls deep.

Good luck brother. Lets fish the MO in the next week or so as a "retrun to work" celebration.