About Me

My photo
I am just a guy who uses fishing and playing guitar to keep myself sane...or at least try to.

Thursday, February 19, 2009

#2...And I am Getting Old


Going through my fish pictures has been very interesting.
I started fishing for these slimy little monkies right around a decade ago give or take and a lot of things have changed in my life since then.
I have said on more than one occasion that if someone were to have approached me 15years ago and described my current life to me I would've laughed my fool head off.
My current condition is just about as far removed as it could possibly be...
and yet...
I have found happiness....extreme happiness at times.
I bitch a bit about my kids now and then but in all honesty I have never felt love like the love I have for my children.
If I had known how much they were going to mean to me I probably never would've had them.
They destroy who you were...but it is beautiful destruction...and who I am now is a much better person.
The same goes for my wife as well....even though our relationship has evolved into something I can barely recognize...it still is beautiful.
We had some great years that were just the two of us and I suppose it is normal that the kids kind of dominate at this stage.
I am hopeful that when the kids get a bit older that we will be able to find some time for ourselves again....but I am not holding my breath.
The Job..
The job...
I am fortunate to have a job and it was a real first for me to earn a living at something that I am passionate about doing...
But I am sure it has taken years off my life... and will continue too if I allow it.
I don't know who is worse really...
Management ...my co-workers...or the fucking criminals....
Bottom line is...
Life has gotten very serious in a hurry.
I regret nothing.
....But I am VERY GLAD I HAVE FISHING...
I look old in this picture...old but happy...

And look at that fishy
:o)

This was the first fish of the 2007 season.
That season took a bit to get into gear and compared to the previous 2006 year kind of teetered on the edge of being a bust.
But.. the water finally rose...and the fish came in...albeit not with the previous years quality ..but shit...it was still great.
This was a great fish and when I set up on him it was all joy....
It was an awesome way to begin the year.
I love the lamprey mark....which is kind of a weird thing to say...but it was a scar that gave this big fella some character.
I guess he's been though the the wringer too.
God bless this river and its fish.
#2

14 comments:

lambton said...

...and God bless that photographer...He captured the moment perfectly.
That was one hell of a fish and one hell of a way to kick off the season. Had to go 31" pushing 32 anyway...

Trotsky said...

Yah...you POS...you are all right..
lol..

Anonymous said...

Gene,

Well expressed. I think you summarized my transformation in the last 9 years. With a 5 and 9 year old constantly testing and challenging my patience (and draining my bank account)and my wife whom seems to work non-stop (christ I hate Blackberry products), I too, hope things will slow down. But that would also mean the kids are grown up and these years are quite entertaining and satisfying at the moment.

Oh ....... nice fish. ;)

18 Mile said...

One of the best posts I have read in a long time. It is amazing how we all intertwine in some way the philosophy and experience of life with our passion of fishing. Maybe it is that we all come closer to god or what ever you want to call your higher being while we walk our streams.

Well said Brother well said..........

Harv said...

GT - I think we are one in the same!! LOL I too have a 9 and 5 year old and a wife who is much more intimate with her Blackberry than with her husband.!!!! But like Gene says "at least we have fishing..."

Well said G and beauty fish indeed!

HArv

ps that photographer is a homo

Trotsky said...

Ya.. we are all in the same boat.
I can't wait to get out there again.
Hopefully things will loosen up around March-ish.
Right on cue...Ella is sick again...
Nobody slept last night...
Fucking kids
I am going to start sending the kids to school in a bubble

lambton said...

Harv,

You are Asian? I'll be damned a Red Headed Asian. Hmmmm

The Photographer is definately a homo ;0). Guilty by association...

Anonymous said...

Harv.... a brother from another mother. A red haired Asian? Now that is fucked! ;-)

( Hope you daughter gets well soon Gene.)

Trotsky said...

Thx GT..
Nothing serious and she is a tough little bird.
This winter as been tooo long for all of us.
This is her first year at school and she has paraded home bug after wonderful bug...
Joy

Wallacio said...

Great post Gene...like the rest of you, I can directly relate to every word.

I hear you about the kid/biohazard threat - Lily has a second cold in as many weeks and I only slept a few hours last night as a result.

One hell of a fish bro - can't wait to see #1.

Trotsky said...

Oh Poor Lily
Man it can be very frustrating. The family doctor has told me that the more little illneses they get early on the stronger their immune systems will be when they are older...and to be fair..although I know I should not type this...Owen seems much more resilient.
Tough on you though...
I can't wait to get back to work so I can get some rest.

gw said...

come on, let's see #1.
this is a great post.

gw

PaulGHurtubise said...

This one really struck a chord, Gene. Can't wait for #1.

Maybe you'll have to re-write it by May... which would be one of the best things about fishing, that you can always hope for an even more memorable, incredible moment. So long as you keep on fishing, and bequeathing your love of the sport to your kids, you're plying the lottery for that next big #1 moment.

Anyway, I'm running out of patience and philosophy...

Hurry the F____ up.

p.-

Trotsky said...

All work and no play lately...but I knew that was going to be the case this month.
I might get around to the #1 entry today but the the kids are always a wild card.
A few more sips of coffee then off to the arenas...
:o/