About Me

My photo
I am just a guy who uses fishing and playing guitar to keep myself sane...or at least try to.

Tuesday, March 03, 2009

#1...sigh


Man I miss the fall.
Morin is trying to ramp me up for the spring fishery but I might be a lost cause.
I keep waiting for those spring fever moments to pry me out of this malaise....it is March isn't it?
:o/


Fuck..
Fuckity fuck fuck...
Owen and I went to the beach yesterday. He is turning into a tough little monkey and he loves it outside...frigid temps be damned.


I took a few pics of Mike Weir beach which is currently an ice cube.
Owen has discovered Harry Potter


and these trips to the park...or to the "forbidden forest" are all about Voldemorte and Whomping Willows...lol

I had to search a bit for my number one shots. I had put all of my 2006 shots onto a jump drive and it became buried in the furnace room as a result of my basement reno project.
BTW...my new carpet that I put down has been soaked from seepage due to the Biblical rainfall this year.
NICE..
We are here 4 years and never had even a sign of water...until I finish the basement.
My Wife cried...but me?...I am used to that shit.
That is life....consistantly ...and I will not let it bother me.
Luckily it wasn't sewage.
Some people this year have had to pump out their basements. I may have to re-kick the carpet and steam clean it...whatever..
These little curve-balls can be tempered by great memories...

Number one is from 2006...the Steelhead year to end all years.
It was the first fish on a morning that had started very slow but ended with us catching so many fish that we were exhausted by the end of the day. Maybe that is bragging but I don't mean it to be...
I have been free enough to share the many days where I have been kicked rather viciously in the nuts by the river... I think I can with a clear conscience allow this brief moment of vanity.
Besides...all I did was lift up on the float and hold on for dear life.
The water was high and this fish was ultra hot. At one point it wrapped me around a rock so tight that I could'nt feel the fish on the other end.
I tried to lift my mainline over the rock to free it but I could'nt get it clear. I had already seen the fish and knew that it was a beauty and my heart was sinking.
...All the fish had to do to beat us at that point was make a hard run downstream but instead she came upstream...and freed herself.
Maybe like a lot of beautiful girls she wanted her picture taken?
I chased it downstream like a fumbling fool into the rapids and finally pulled it into the tall grass testing the gear to the max.


I think Morin had given up hope and he had to run downstream to snap a few pics.
I love the expression on my face. It just about sums up Steelheading for me...shock..disbelief...with a healthy dose of joy!!!
That ...after some consideration...was my greatest fish.



It is the fishy moment that I come back to the most and at the risk of sounding even more like a homo than usual I am glad that POS Morin was there for it.
I have never seen a more perfect fish anywhere

...and probably never will again.

....seepage be damned.

With memories like this ...nothing can reach me.

KNOCK ON WOOD

9 comments:

lambton said...

When you started this "fishy saga" I knew right away which fish was going to be number one. I remember that morning very well. The sun was just about to start burning the morning chill off and we fished the rock fairly hard. I lost patience and was about to slide up to that infamous slot just above when you hooked that fish. The water was huge and you began the decent. I was certain there was no chance. LOL!!! That was a sweet fish brother! 2006 was quite a year. Crazy times.

Glad to have been part of 7 of 10.

The water in your basement...It could be alot worse...Trust me ;0)

Hey...buck up dude...let's go do some fun fishing...Disneyland style???

Trotsky said...

Provided I shoot straight Thursday Friday...otherwise I am off to the nations capitol to practice up with the ponies....(shudder)
That was one helluva fish...check out that lateral line...all muscle...just like my penis

PaulGHurtubise said...

Your both disgust me, especially Morin.

That was a beautiful fish, and I can see why it would be your number 1.

Don't despair. You'll catch something that'll kick its ass someday.

Guaranteed.

p.s. my basement did that to me a couple of years ago after a monster thaw. mysteriously it only happened once.

lambton said...

Hey...apparently they make waders with a zipper now. I guess there were enough back woods back-jackers like yourself to warrent a niche market. Now you can get jiggy wit your "muscle" when you are fishing. FREAKs!

PaulGHurtubise said...

horse hole. you piss me off!

:)

Anonymous said...

Hey - that sucks about the carpet....if you need any help fixing anything up, let me know....a buddy of mine has all the carpet tools, including a kicker. Hopefully the drywall in behind stayed dry.

Anonymous said...

Great saga Gene. Between you and Brian ( his blog), the pics of certain spots always spark a memory of when hit them. Odd that neither of us have crossed paths on it. I think I came close one time as I met up with the " old man" ( can't remember his name, he lives up there). He was taking a pic for me and commented that I love taking pics " as much as the guy from Sarnia did yesterday".

Anyways, now that this is done, I guess you need to go get some memories of 2009 going. ;)

All very nice fish. Cheers .........

Trotsky said...

Thx Knuckleheads..
Now off to for some target practice.
Hopefully once I get that out of the way there will be some fishing.

Harv said...

Beauty fish bud!

A great read from 10 thru 1 - great job.

I have considered a similar entry but not specific to salmonids. There are a couple interesting stories to tell there somewhere.

Spring is in the air, time to get back out there bro.

Harv