About Me

My photo
I am just a guy who uses fishing and playing guitar to keep myself sane...or at least try to.

Thursday, February 04, 2010

Salmon Part II


...You know?...
I do miss the Salmon.

I miss the trips to the river in Full Shitrat regalia...Jello cured Skeins the size of golf balls...giant k9 like teeth on fish that are half rotten and that have morphed into something out of a science fiction movie...

I recall a trip to the Bighead in Sept where I went 0 for 11 on giant salmon and drove all the way home smiling!!

My father in law and I used to chase the salmon around on that river during an annual family trip to Collingwood.

He used to just love it...

I used to have all kinds of skein left over from the open water boat stuff of the late summer and the nasty old boots would literally chase the giant skein balls once they hit the water.
There needn't be any subtlety to the drift...and Gerry was all over it!!!

This picture he has on a shelf in his sun room ....much to his wifes chagrin.
;o)


I remember an afternoon with JDA at Inverhuron watching a big old fella with no eyes left still trying desperately to defend his turf and secure his right to mate with the ladies present.
I love sex ...but if I had to go to that kind of bother?
There used to be a brilliant Coho run at Sauble falls and some of the males were as red as tomatoes..


World class fishing...


I haven't seen one there in some time.


Lots have taken a run trying to pay tribute to the trials of the migrating Salmon...
The relentless heroism of the fish returning to its natal stream...and all that ....it is almost cliche.
I have neither the energy or the skills to wax poetic about the stinky old river rats...
..But I do know that one day this past fall I stopped my hike to watch two lonely old Kings do the dance and my heart went out them...
Dislocated and now struggling....
It was sad and beautiful
The Alewife problem is gone...well done....maybe too well done.

3 comments:

lambton said...

Trib fishing Kings is like doing fat chicks...Alot of fun until your buddies find out.

But seriously...I had forgotten how much fun a Hot Chinny fight can be until I hit that big Hen on the Manistee a while back. I'll never forget that fish.

lambton said...

BTW...
You look like a Nerd Rube in that first pic. Nice...

Hey what ever happened to that Alaska hat and those glasses anyways? ;0) Useless...

Trotsky said...

Oh the Alaska hat...
One of the coolest fishing ahts I ever did own...
It and the glasses were claimed by the water on fishing trips...LOL..
I may due a Blog entry on my coolest fishing hats...
...Provided the Cartel doesn't get me..

That is no country for old men. The young
In one another's arms, birds in the trees
- Those dying generations - at their song,
The salmon-falls, the mackerel-crowded seas...