About Me

My photo
I am just a guy who uses fishing and playing guitar to keep myself sane...or at least try to.

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

The Big Smoke


I don't dig flying.
I swore that I would never fly but when I received an offer from work to make a two day trip to Ottawa involving meetings discussing something that I was passionately interested in I jumped at the chance.
The plane out of Sarnia is so small you can stand in the aisle and touch both walls on either side of the aircraft.Packed in like a can of sardines I waved good bye to my kids from the wing seat convinced I would never see them again. The Sarnia Airport is designed so that when the plane takes off it heads out over Lake Huron. The rickety old bucket then makes a hard right and points its nose towards T.O for a harrowing 45min hell ride.

If you need anything all you have to do is tap the pilot on the shoulder.
NICE. :o/
Obviously I lived.
The trip itself was good. I had a chance to connect with some colleagues from all across Canada who were ,for the most part, of the same mindset regarding the conditions of our employment. Judging by some of the stories I heard Sarnia doesn't really have it so bad...but don't worry....I still bitched the loudest! :o)
I had some good company from Sarnia and he did his job representing our needs as well and I was proud to be there with him.....even if he is a geocacheing nerd.
Our meetings were hosted by three very nice enthusiastic people.
I think we overwhelmed them on the first day.

The little event didn't get started off too well for me.
We walk into the meeting room which is walled with touchy feely hallmark slogans and every person is issued a toy in order to "help get them to a place where they can share ideas with child-like openess and enthusiasm"....huh?
Oh oh.
I don't dig the new age huggy-love shit...especially when you are talking about the security of a nation. No toys for Gene.
I don't have any trouble opening up thx...BUT you'd better listen up!
There was some great discussion and everyone really felt good afterwards. If nothing else the hosts really made you feel like 'they' were concerned and listening to what you had to say.
We'll see.
After work Rod and I visited parliament and typically Rod found money just flying around on the ground.

The weather in Ottawa was kind of crappy but I took Coondogs advice and had me-self a steak and a pint(or two) on the taxpayer. Thanks BTW.
Back to work tonight for midnights then it is going to get fish silly.
Trotsky needs a break.
Depending on the co-operation of the Lake Huron Kings there could be another fish fry on the horizon.
'?'

4 comments:

lambton said...

Now I know why you are blowing me off... You have a love date with your Geocaching love buddy "Rod"
;0)
And you made fun of Wallacio and his ball-gags.
B

JOE MAMA said...

Sounds like the trip was a great time - and hopefully productive too, although shit takes a long time to come down the pipe, and most times it gets clogged midway through. The clogging of the pipe is commonly known as the "fuck-its" which I have been recently diagnosed with.

However, a fish fry sounds in order to me, although I don't really care for fish all that much ;)

Happy fishing - if you need someone useless to tag along and maybe catch a snag or two, give me a call...

Jean said...

Did you play with the Government issue toys or not?

Trotsky said...

201- I have a government toy you can play with.
Did you get the border wait times in yet?
G-dog- You'll be happy to know that you were brought at these meetings specifically as "The Dis-enfranchised"...lol....we'll see.
It was a good trip and I was proud to represent the port.
I'll do my bst to get you out riggin.