About Me

My photo
I am just a guy who uses fishing and playing guitar to keep myself sane...or at least try to.

Friday, April 13, 2007

Empire State...


Brian and I made a mad dash stateside yesterday.

I was pretty tired after working three 12's and almost pulled the plug at the last minute but the fishing freak talked me out of it....and I am glad he did.
The river we fished is a cool bottom draw flow that you can usually safely bet on when the other rivers have gone for a turd. I have grown fond of this river.
It has delt us up some good to ridiculously great days even though it can be very tricky to floatfish.

The fish like a well presented offering and even when the conditions are less than favourable, like they were yesterday, you can always expect to hook-up.
Landing the fish is the problem. Even when the water is low and clear like it was yesterday the water is still really moving and if a Steelie is 'hot'it'll turn and really go on ya.
The spots where we have had our greatest success are lined right to the rivers edge with big trees and 'beaching' a fish alone can be a real challenge.
Most of the locals carry these giant nets with them....which under the cicumstances are quite practical.
The last thing I need is something else to carry.
I don't mind following a fish when it runs. Horsing it back up river and ripping off its maxillary is just too creepy for me.
Chasing the big ones is a big part of the fun!
The busy rivers can prevent you from doing this and we have seen this particular system get really crowded but for whatever reason it was bereft of pressure on this trip so I had a rare opportunity to fight fish the way I wanted.
We had a modest day...maybe a dozen between us (heavily slanted in Morins favour)but the weather was great and the fishing had a wonderful pace that made me relax and enjoy the day as opposed to sliding into combat fishing commando mode.
Always a chance for a big fish here and Brian landed a big old girl that had finished her spring business and will be in the lake shortly..provided she makes it past some of the local finesse tactics.

My Boss just granted me some leave that I knew was going to be touch and go.
Looks like I will be fishing a ton this spring after all.
Ottawa bound on Sunday....I hope my plane doesn't crash.
If I do die, will someone teach my son(and /or daughter) how to 'pin'?

10 comments:

lambton said...

Another adventure under our belts.
Good day old man. Good day indeed!
Thanks for maning the steelhead mobile and putting up with me again!
Glad we touched a few. Have a safe trip to the nations capital and tell it like it is. I have no doubt that you will ;0)
I think that big ol girls is in the lake right now planing her recovery. Hope we meet up with her this fall :0)

the freak

Coondog said...

Hey, does your boss do anything? I know where I work they usually do more "acting" like they are busy. Another government make-work program I figure.

Trotsky said...

Lambton-No fish is safe! I hope we get another before opener.

Coondog- Am I white trash if I am scarfing down bologna sandwiches and chasing them with beer before bed?
Baton Rouge you say?

The Mad Fishicist said...

I have to admit I've been reading this site for some time now but I've always wondered what centerpin/float fishing is. Hasn't reached this far west yet I suppose. But this month in Fish Alaska magazine, there is an article that describes it in full detail. Crap. Do you have any idea how much I'm going to have to pay just to get started?

Trotsky said...

TMF-
It is like anything really...you can get into relatively cheap...by fishing standards...or you can really get stupid $$$$...and there is nothing like nice gear.
$3-$400 cdn funds can get you into a sweet set-up that will last until you decide to upgrade....which you probably will ;o).
If you decide you don't like it(which won't happen!) you'll never lose money if you buy the right stuff.Islanders or Stanton's used.
They are good pins and indestructable.....trust me....I a hard on my gear.
email me if you like.
gnorland'at'sympatico.ca
Gene

Coondog said...

Yes, you are white trash without the beer and bologna.

Baton Rouge, one street south of the Marriot (Kent and Queen). Go towards the Tim Hortons on Queen. Turn left at the light and you will see it past the Crowne Plaza.

Also, a good lunch spot is the Glue Pot. Great portions and cheap. Straight down Queen past the Tim Hortons. Up in the building on the corner. There is a strip joint called Barberellas there too.

Enjoy the festivities up there. Speak your mind! Make us proud, blame it all on mgmt!

Anonymous said...

Excellent use of the word bereft. I haven't heard it since that last motherfucker complained about me. Man I hope he's dead. I believe he said I was "an intimidating pitbull, bereft of people skills"
Man he was a great judge of character for a piece of shit.

Trotsky said...

EAP anyone?

Chinook7 said...

Nicely done, G.

I was there two weeks ago, and there was unfortunately little visibility though I did manage a few holdover Brown Trout. Next time you are over there, check out Johnson Creek in Lyndonville, and Hopkins Creek near Olcott, they can be great places without the pressure of Oak Orchard.

Cheers,

J

Trotsky said...

Will do...thx