About Me

My photo
I am just a guy who uses fishing and playing guitar to keep myself sane...or at least try to.

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

And we're off..


The Sauble River is a nasty old bitch that can really shake my confidence but it always has flow and considering the drought like conditions we're faced with here in Ontario I thought I would giv'er a go today.
This is the river that I cut my teeth on as a Steelheader so whenever I return to it I always feel nostalgic.

One of the greatest fish I have ever hooked into was landed there. Oct 13/2001.
30.5 " chrome bright hen that probably went around 11 lbs. I had no business landing that fish...and maybe because of that the river has always been stingy to me with only rare exceptions.
Today the water was low and disgusting and choked with weed growth. It was more like Sauble Swamp. I still managed to hook a decent fish but lost all hope of landing it very early when the rotter took me deep into the wood. Anybody who has fished there I am sure knows the spot I am talking about.
It was nice to get back there if for no other reason than the memories.


After about an hour I bolted for one of southwestern Ontarios most famous rivers.

This is also a river that I have hardly fished. I generally stear clear of the fabled waters for whatever reason but I really enjoyed myself today. There is a ton of water here and even though you still get the assholes who want to stand on your shoulders after you have landed a fish there always seems to be plenty of elbow room.

All in all a very good day. It even felt good to be alone for a change.


I stopped by my backyard river on the way home and it looks nothing less than catastrophic. It is hard to believe that it will even be able to support a fishery this year but it always surprises me how quickly things can shape up for the positive.


Anyhoo...it sure felt good to blow the dust off.

I have included the some of my own homo "fall colours" photos that seem to be obligatory this time of year in blog land.


I will be on a river next Wednesday.


Praying for rain.

6 comments:

lambton said...

Nice fish G!
Sure must have felt nice to shake the summers jitters. Looking forward to Wed's Road Trip. Who knows where we will end up ;0)

B

Trotsky said...

It won't be our usual haunt thats for sure. That rivers looks so starved it is heart breaking.
WTF is going on with the weather??
The next person that says "what great fall weather we are having" I am going to knee in the groin.
Off to work...

Wallacio said...

Great fish Gene - a classic Lake Huron steelhead.

I wasn't so lucky tody...my only hookup dove straight into the wood for which the middle river is famous.

Trotsky said...

Thanks Dave....
It felt good to get back at it....I was worried that I had forgotten how to 'line' them.
I wish it was November all year.
WHY WON"T IT RAIN!!!!
:o/

lambton said...

Don't kid yourself Norland!
You can put on a "lining" clinic in your sleep you POS ;0)

BCM said...

Did you try tasting one of those berries?