About Me

My photo
I am just a guy who uses fishing and playing guitar to keep myself sane...or at least try to.

Thursday, March 22, 2007

Maybe someone should shoot me..


Well.
Spring is here.
I am currently looking outside at blue skies and my neighbours in shirtsleeves.
I am stuck inside ....ill.
Again.
I hosted a fish-fry the other night.
This is a fun filled crazy event where I fill my house with people I like and feed them Walleye (or 'pickeral' for you die hard canucks) until they burst. It is a bit weird in the fact that I am usually so busy frying fish that I barely get a chance to talk to anybody.
I believe the head count was somewhere around 26(?) including a gaggle of kids..one of which was brand spanking new. Very cute. She must get her looks from her mother.
I haven't killed a Steelhead in a long time but my father in law and I are hell on the walleye. We are very fortunate to live in an area where the walleye are so ridiculously plentiful and catching them requires so little effort that fishing for them is looked upon by the locals as a harvest more than any kind of real sport. Why is it that I can knock off a creel of walleye without batting an eye and yet even seeing a Steelie on a stringer can send me into the depths of despair is anybodys guess?
The Walleye have two big strikes against them I suppose. They are hideous and they taste really good. I feel the guilt but I console myself with the knowledge that any damage I may be doing is miniscule compared to the commercial fishing in these parts...and don't get me started about the natives.
The invited crew on this one consisted primarily of yin-yangs from work and thier spouses.Lots of laughs and the beer flowed like wine.
At one point I was kidding my boss about his age and he fired back "me?".."F***, your the sickest guy I know!".......should you be concerned when your 'boss' calls you on this?
..Probably,...but I am not in the slightest.How quickly they forget?
I worked through a broken wrist a few months back without missing a day!
Besides...the boys got my back. :o)
Oh well it was all said in good fun and if I can dish it out I suppose I can take it.....however it did get me thinking.
Am I sickly?...maybe?
It surely has something to do with the fact that I come into close contact with no less than a 1000 different people throughout the course of a week from all corners of North America if not the world.....most of which are currently not the healthiest of people to begin with. English scientists could spend their entire lives categorizing the multitudes of viruses/bacteria that I am probably exposed to in a 24 hr period. Couple that with the long hours and crappy weather and it is a wonder that I am not dead!
If that doesn't do it, my wife is also a supply teacher and gets most of her work, logically enough, during flu season. She bounces around from school to school in this area teaching young kids that are invariably hacking and coughing and dripping snot. She loves her job and to her credit she is tough as nails (especially compared to me!) but I am sure she parades home bug after bug as well.
The knockout punch is the our kids themselves.
One usually brings it home and then it gets generously passed from family member to family member.
My head currently feels like it is in a vise...and my nose is ....well.
On a positive note it looks like my reels have sold.
I hope that I don't regret selling them but I have decided to leave the collecting to the loonies.....besides, I have, to my surprise, become very interested in music again. I have been listening to John Coltrane like a mad fool and he is inspiring me.
I want to start practicing hard again....and I have started to think that it might be time to have a new guitar built and the reel money will probably go towards this.....provided my wife doesn't kill me. I love my current guitar and it is a work of art but it might be time for a change. A buddy of mine builds world class instruments and I have a few ideas for him.
We'll see....the house also needs a new roof.

11 comments:

lambton said...

"however it did get me thinking.
Am I sickly?...maybe?"

You F'ing think? Actually your boss is rather polite. If you worked for me Norland I'd fire your "sickly" ass...

Then we'd fish NY and OHIO for a few weeks followed by a Washington/BC Hiatus.
Christ...I guess I'd have to fire myself also.
Oh well when we got back we could always pick up jobs with SD at the FootLocker :0)

B

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the invite to the fish fry fuckbag.

Nice to know where I stand though.

I hope you do buy that new guitar and then your crappy ass roof caves in on you while you sleep and smashes your new guitar to little pieces along with your head.

Let's jam. soon. You might learn a thing or two :-)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the invite to the fish fry fuckbag.

Nice to know where I stand though.

I think you should buy that new guitar and then I hope your crappy ass roof caves in on you while you sleep and smashes your pretty new guitar to pieces along with your head.

Let's jam. Soon. You may even learn a thing or two :-)

Trotsky said...

Lambton- NICE!!!
Thx for the consoling words you useless creep.
May Pepe les pew follow you to every drift.
Brodie-
Are you Jacob 2 2?
...or are you just Brodied?
I heard you the first time.
I'll try and get you in on the next one.
The more I think about the guitar thing the more I think that I may do the responsible thing...
I must be getting old.
Maybe when we get that nice retro cheque...

Coondog said...

Retro....what's that? Your wages are going to be frozen and we are all going to get fucked royally! Why would we expect anything else, really?

I hope the management fucks suffer the same way we do.

Trotsky said...

Oh great ...more good news.
Guess I'd better go with the roof then.
Sorry to hear about your friend Coondog.

SD said...

Ha Ha...funny guys... Maybe you could swing thru the ditches on your "World Tour"...heck I'd even set you fuggr's up with some new kicks at a special price ;o)

Trotsky said...

SD-
I want some with the lights in them....those are 'tits'.
....maybe a set of those wheelies too?

SD said...

What other 'Pins you got kickin around G ??

Maybe we could work sumthin out for a pair of "Wheelie's" w/cleats for that "World Tour" coming up ???

Trotsky said...

You guys are hopeless!
None for sale!!!
I have currently knocked 'er down to two.
My Islander and My MYKISS.
Utilitarian....
The pond is starting to look good and its got me thinking about the feathers....and I am also looking forward to the riggin' this spring. Lets hope for some screamin dipseys.... ><>

Anonymous said...

Brodie, he didn't invite you' cause none of our wive's will make it with yours and we decided it might get awkward.