About Me

My photo
I am just a guy who uses fishing and playing guitar to keep myself sane...or at least try to.

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

God damned fish...


WELL I GIVE UP!!!!
After listening to the neighbours dog bark for the past hour (no exaggeration!) I finally decided to get out of bed and at least 'do' something instead of lying there clenching my teeth.If my blood pressure gets any higher I will surely have a stroke.
I wish I was the type of person that could walk over and say something to these friggin idiots..but I am not.I will grin and bear it until something inside me snaps and then god only knows what I am capable of. I wish they were the type of people who could show some consideration for others...but they are not...obviously.
I can't expect them to know that I am in for midnights this week but really, in my mind that is beside the point. NO ONE wants to listen to that fucking dog bark !!!!
I know that dogs bark...god bless them....I do love dogs...mans best friend and all that....and come to think of it if some fool left me outside for over an hour in this weather I would be making some noise too....but..OH GOD!!!!!!!!!!!! JUST LET YOUR DOG IN!!!!!
I'll be tossing lawn darts over the fence tomorrow.Sharp ones.
This day is not going well.

I love the act of fishing. When the conditions are right it 'is' one of the things that I enjoy most in life.
But,..
I hate not catching fish.
Quite often the two things go hand in hand....and today I got skunked!
This might sound like bragging ....and it isn't....it's more that I am amazed by this now that I think of it ....but I haven't been skunked in years. I have had a couple of close calls but I have always managed to pull one out at the end just to save face.
When I first started fishing for trout I was getting skunked constantly. There is a very definite learning curve involved particularly when fishing for Steelhead and I am amazed in retrospect that I even stayed with it.
I remember, early on, thinking to myself on the first trip of the fall that if I caught five fish a season it would be awesome. I miss the wild enthusiasm I used to have... the blind searching. Innocence?
I still get worked up when I prepare for fishing... but now I 'expect' to catch fish.
Maybe not gobs of fish like my freak friend....but man surely I can catch one!
Not today.
I knew it would land on me eventually and I suppose it is good for the soul once in a while. "Good just to get out in the fresh air and all that" ...bah....that is crap!
However,it was a perfect day to fish. The outflows are starting to unlock and the wind was down making long beautiful extended drifts possible. The river was lovely to look at and even with all the industry about some sections were postcard pretty.

Damned fish.
Oh well. Looks like the weather is making its turn so the good fishing will be just around the corner. I was checking out my new schedule and most of my scheduled time off falls right around the Salmon derby and opening day for Steelhead. By burning a relatively small amount of leave I will have 22 days off at a wonderful time of year. I will have to ask my co-workers why I should be unhappy with my job again because for the life of me I can't remember? I am sure they'll be happy to tell me.
Midnights...oh god I hate them...and I have four in a row to endure. At the very least we'll have a full compliment with our team tonight. One of our members has been off on parental leave for the last month and we have been hamstringed without him. Hard as it is to admit ....this particular character is handy to have around. If nothing else I have missed the comic relief.
Ah Christ ..it hasn't been the same without you......here's hoping I don't punch your head in.
Heh?.....silence?.....dare I try and go back to bed?
God damned mutt.

5 comments:

lambton said...

That is one handsome fish your freak friend is holding. Hell he sure is handsome himself. ;o)

Lets get out on some real water very soon my man!

signed,
"the freak"

P.S. a skunking is good for the soul once every 10 years unless your SD and need one 2 out of 3 outings ;0)

Trotsky said...

Well, if it is truly good for the soul then I hope I get skunked on the next fifty trips because my "soul" is hurtin.

Coondog said...

Invest in some Prestone!

Great shot of the river and your snag!

SD said...

bastids... ;o)

lambton said...

I knew I'd flush ya out Steve.

Norland...You don't have a soul!
Your barely human :0O
Commmmmme on warm weather!