About Me

My photo
I am just a guy who uses fishing and playing guitar to keep myself sane...or at least try to.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Slippin' in through the cracks..



The river was less than ideal ...but so are most things.
I figure that if you sit around waiting for perfection you can miss out on a lot of cool stuff.
I spent too much time thinking about fishing at work yesterday so finally , on a spur of the moment decision I reached for the leave slips.

The fishing was tough but with a little perseverance I managed to luck into a few including a big old Buck bordering on the double stripe.



The water was low and clear and cold. The fish were scattered and lethargic ( until hooked)....but I couldn't be happier.



I had the place to myself...howling wind, frostbite and all. Oh joy.
There were signs of a recent bank maggot hatch....probably from the previous weekend and I was instantly reminded of how cool it is to be a shift worker. I should make it my goal to never fish on weekends again unless the weather is catastrophic.



Today was close.

At one point ,early in the afternoon, a storm blew in off the lake with winds so powerful that I actually saw a tree go down about a hundred yards from me. The sky went from sunny to black in a matter of seconds and the snow fell so heavy that I literally couldn't see my float. The best part was the thunder.
???


I was so freaked out that I broke down the rod and called it a day.

I thought that maybe mother nature was trying to tell me something.

By the time I had gotten back to the car the weather was fine (of course) and I almost considered heading back to the river but there is nothing wrong with being home early..
The family was glad to see me and it it is Wing Night at Skeeters...
Oh yah...Good day....
:o)

4 comments:

The Mad Fishicist said...

"The best part was the thunder."

Awesome pics and fish, Trotsky. The steelhead are starting to trickle into our river.

Think I'll reach for the leave slips...

gw said...

sounds like things are turning around. glad to hear it. i was worried about all the whining. it sounds like you were alone. i think lambton was your problem

Trotsky said...

Good to hear from you MFist..
My back yard river is as skinny as I have ever seen it..nothing like last year...But I am making lemonade with these lemons as you can see. :o/
How are thigs in the Arctic??
lol
I am being sent to Chilliwack BC for some training for work in the new year and hpefully I'll get to check out some PAC Steel.<><
Hope all is well with the family?!!
....Truth be told, we are expecting an addition ourselves.
:oO
GW...
Gary..
We need to get together before the New year.
Fish ...Music ...whatever..
It was mystical in the today....felt like god was with me...
strange coming from me...

lambton said...

What????Gene your pregnant? That expains a few things :0/

Glad you had a good day in the Shire. I spent my time at the Holiday Inn learning how to deal with people like gw :0{
Oh well one more day of it and then 2-4 of fishing. Come on RAIN!!!!