About Me

My photo
I am just a guy who uses fishing and playing guitar to keep myself sane...or at least try to.

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Being a Guide..

...Sucks..
However,.. I kinda owed my father in law a trip to the river.
He was a big help with my basement project and he is an all around great guy. Morin and I put him over some fish last year and he has raved about it since so there was no mystery about what would be the best way to repay his kindness.
I am not a fish hog and I really enjoy watching other people catch fish but when the river is clear and low getting these fish to play can be a real trick and Gerry...bless his heart ...is a useless Steelheader.
I spent most of the day parading through all of the greatest holding water I know of only to watch him shit the bed with each fumbling drift.
Again....he is a prince among men and he has the patience of JOB ,...but after a while the good old "Oh well....it is nice to just get out and get some fresh air and exercise" begins to ring false ..to say the least !!
It was a beautiful day..and I do enjoy his company but after a few hours of futility I was ready to take a bullet. I don't dig wasting a day on the water...especially this water and if we couldn't get the guy a Steelie , to me that is what all of this would amount to.
Ocassionally good things do happen to good people and just about when I had given up all hope Gerrys float dipped....and popped right back up again.
.....He missed it
JESUS H CHRIST!!!
Chin to Chest..
Oh well... "Just send it right back through there ...gently"
(fingers crossed, silent prayer)
BANG!
Fish on...and it is a good one!!
Well it appeared that he tried to do everything wrong ...lol....but sometimes that hook is just going to stay no matter what.
It was a beautiful October fish so bright that it was hard to look at.



I whispered thanks in her ear just before she showered me and disappeared into that beautiful water.
Thank God.
I am not a poet...but that was poetic, and even though the day was a great test of my patience I know for certain that when the clock starts to wind down and my fishing interests become boring stories this day will be as vivid in my memory as any.

He talked about it all the way home.
I should also add that it is not lost on me that Gerry has outfished Brian so far this year....
tee hee
;o)

4 comments:

lambton said...

Nice pic! Where's the one with Jerry's ear to ear grin.
Have I ever told you how much fun work is?

Trotsky said...

I din't get that shot as Gerry was still firmly planted way above the rapids that I had to negotiate in order to tail his fish!!


What is work?

Harv said...

Work SUCKS!!

At least I have these blogs to read while sitting here at work wishing I was somewhere else. I expect to see lots of entries from you this fall since "work" will not be a deterant for you!

I sure wish I was on paternity leave this fall .... minus the baby of course - two of those is MORE than enough for me!!

Great blog G, looking forward to sharing some drifts with you this fall.

Harv

Trotsky said...

Yep...Work sucks.
These kids are alright...sometimes.

I think Morin needs a leave of absence....maybe some sort of mental health leave...?

...If we get this rain they are calling for I am pretty sure he'll just quit his job anyway.