About Me

My photo
I am just a guy who uses fishing and playing guitar to keep myself sane...or at least try to.

Thursday, November 12, 2009

Yesterday I Hit the River...

...and unfortunately the river hit back

Untitled from Gene Norland on Vimeo.




They all can't be stories of triumph over adversity and glory.
To edit out the the tales of woe which feature the long drive home with the chin to the chest and the lump in the throat would be worse than dishonest and more importantly undermine the integrity of my little fishing journal and all the value that it has for me.

LOL...

I lost a huge fish yesterday.

HUGE

I started the day knowing that I was a day late and a dollar short.
This happens.
The river had set up beautifully for the weekend and I did manage to get in right on the top of it but the real stellar cosmic water would be flowing over the structure that I love probably Monday-Tuesday-ish. The new fish would've stopped pushing through. They would've found the holding water that they were probably in last year and we would've met again.
They would've been all cocky and stupid with overconfidence from living the past 9 months in the big water as the top predator and I would've been only too happy to educate them a little on their place in the world...magnanimous in victory...releasing them to swim again.
The pain in my back and shoulder from the hike in and the fishy fighting a more than fair trade for the soul curing medicine that catching these fish provides.
It is not all about catching fish...but it is a bit. Quite a bit.
I tried to get in there but family obligation and the Philistines at work did their thing. Maybe fishing has come to mean too much to me?
Opportunities pass in life...most never to return again.....and it fucking stings sometimes.
I don't get skunked very often even when the water is shit...and I didn't yesterday.
The big fish seem to go negative first and the silly shakers are usually still willing to compensate you somewhat. Maybe that is how they get to be big fish?

I caught 4 of these little hatchery bookends and one wild one of about the same size. It used to be that a right pec fin clip signified a Michigan stray and it does have the look of those fish. It is funny to think that those knuckleheads pushed that far up just to grab some salmon eggs.
Pretty in their own right.
Not what I am looking for...more of a bonus or consolation prize on days like today.
I knew the river would be tough and it was.
I went from hole to hole marshaling as much courage as possible and pinning all my hopes on the one hole I know of that holds enough water to possibility encourage some fishing activity.
Finally I get there.
Not bad....but not good. 5 - 6 ft deep in spots and I can see right to the bottom.
First drift I hit a fish....(bla bla bla...fishing melodrama hyperbole insert...)
...5 minutes later with a burning shoulder and a rod bent right to cork I am still on this giant beast of a fish which is head shaking and sounding in water that has merciless clarity...
It has been close enough at this point that I can see it is well over 10 lbs and way bigger than 30 inches and will...lol...bump one of my unfortunate top tens off the list....I almost had a hand around her tail at one point....
One last run and "pinc"...slack line...arguably one of the worst feelings in the world...
I just about puked.
The entire time I fought this fish I could see the other fish in the pool being spooked about.
I retied just in time to have a couple of knuckleheads show up and ask me if they could join me....I will end the story there...I hate people....nobody moved another fish out of that run and it was a long hike out.
It has taken me until today to come to grips with the fact that yesterday was a great day.

Untitled from Gene Norland on Vimeo.


I had a chance at a world class fish when the odds were against me in a beautiful place. I saw some deer and a bald eagle up close and took advantage of a day off work to get some exercise.
This was a blessing ...reasoning not the least of which being because it was remembrance day.
BUT DAMN!
In the great perfect words of fishing sage John Geirach
"Only an idiot would blame the fish"

:o)

9 comments:

lambton said...

:0)
There will be many more opportunities. Trust me! If I had a dollar for every huge fish I blew I'd be a millionaire ;0)
You can personally attest to that. I guess it makes the few that come to hand that much more special. Now having said that I do understand how it can haunt you. Shake it off brother...We will make up for it next week.
I am really digging the fact that all you homo's are regularly seeing the bald eagle. That is huge in my books. It speaks novels to the health and well being of that area and our little river. We are so blessed!

Trotsky said...

It is not just Huge Fish you blow you homo...
I added the video of the eagle...although you can't really see it very well. So far he has been camera shy but we'll get 'em.
One of the little fish that I got yesterday had talon scar marks on him.
I am hoping that the raptor has enough sense to only harvest the hatchery fish.lol

Harv said...

Very well written dude.

I suppose it is days like those that make the 'good' days all the more meaningful.

As humbling as a day like that can be it is still better than working a night shift :(

Finally a few drops in the 14 day so there is still hope for the home waters again this fall.

Keep your chin up brother

Trotsky said...

Yeah... I saw that in the forecast.
I won't hold my breath...
...and who knows maybe me and that old girl will tangle again....
But more than likely Morin will get her...that pos....
Rumour has it he is coming out of retirement...lol

lambton said...

If the rains do indeed come you will be begging me to stop pestering you to make the drive up. ;0)
And oh yes...we will get some decent footage of that bird this fall.
Remember that fish you hit last Dec up from the Dump run. She had talon marks all over her. That is why those birds are there. Truly a healthy ecosystem. Now lets just pray some local shit rat don't shoot her for breakfast.

Also for the record...I'm 0 for 2 this season. :0(

Trotsky said...

Yeah...
You 'll probably catch my numbers in one outing...
Looking forward to the road trip...now get back to work.

18 Mile said...

Thank you for an excellent read. I believe you are blessed to come into contact with such a fine fish.

Any yes as your wise friend previously said there will be others.

It is good to finally hear an
exciting report. I hear fishing up north in most places has been slow and down hear it has been mediocre at best.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
Henry David Thoreau

Wallacio said...

Sorry that the monster escaped - I would have loved to have viewed some pics of her.

That feeling of the slack line coming back at you makes me sick to my stomach and has happened on far too many occasions this season. Just ask Amhad about my little temper tantrum after losing a decent fish on the weekend!

As for this weekend, it looks as though I won't even bother to get out when I'm up there. Where's the GD rain??? I guess December is the new November...

Trotsky said...

Thx Joe...but rest assured that river does not owe me a thing...nor do these fishes.

That is a great quote BTW...
HDT is one of my heroes....civil disobedience and all that..
Another good snippet is
" went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and to see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."

I have had two stellar days up this way when the water was tight but the forecast looks grim....
Looks like we are going to test the big water next week.

Dave..
Yeah that big hen will haunt me...all I wanted was a photo...
I am glad to hear that I am not the only one..
I feel sick every time I think of it.
LOL
Damn fish..