About Me

My photo
I am just a guy who uses fishing and playing guitar to keep myself sane...or at least try to.

Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Jumpin Beef And The Swamp Thing


D(B)eer Camp...
It has become an annual tradition to join my Father and Brother in law for the first Deer hunt.


They happen to hunt not far from where I fish so I am only too happy to join them for some down time at the sugar shack.
This year there were four of us. 3 Hunters and a knucklehead Steelheader.


The river is still shit so I wasn't exactly thrilled about my fishing opportunities but it is always good to get away. There has been some rain and the river is right on the edge...it just needs one more shot in the arm.
The forecast is so fickle that I have stopped checking it for fear that I put a gun in my mouth.
My plan was to stay until Thursday but I got the call last night that I knew I would get.
Avery was sick.
My Wife is capable but I can't have fun when I know that the kids are not well so here I am typing instead of prowling the streams ...
:o/
I got 2 decent days out of it...a few card games, laughs,

good food and a wee hangover.
The boys got three deer and were driving into Goderich this morning for another tag.
One of the deer was right around 3 bills and it took the three of them 2 1/2 hrs to drag it from the bush.
I was conveniently not around.
:o)
This is good news for the Venison hungries...and I am one of them.
I timed it just right this year.
I was having an afternoon snooze yesterday when a shot went off.
Much more effective than an alarm clock BTW. LOL


A few minutes later I got to witness a field dressing.
I wasn't sure what kind of an effect it would have on me and I was surprised at how pleasant it was.


That is a strange thing....but these guys live for this. They hunt responsibly and really revere these animals. The sun was streaming through the trees...the air was fresh and crisp and it was a really peaceful happy moment for all of us.
What these guys find out there in the bush is not that far removed from my own tradition and I felt privileged to share it with them.


As far as the fishing goes I managed better than I expected.
I even beached one that is sure to make the top ten for the season.

It was a great moment.
I had been fishing the darker sections of the frog water and cursing the gazillions of little egg eating smolts.


I had been lulled into a bit of a trance when I set up on what I had been looking for with false hope.
Out the chute she goes and the chase is on.
These fish are tough and it is a minor miracle everytime I bring one to hand.
I don't need much and that was enough for the entire trip.
I have got to believe that better days are ahead.
On day two I bumped into Harv at the Mcdonalds washroom in Goderich....which was kind of weird...
I am pretty sure he was there to pick up guys.
He and his old man asked me to join them on the bigger water and as my own plans were a little nondescript I quickly agreed.

0 for 1.
That river hates me....but it is very nice to look at.
Back to home court for me.
I always manage to catch fish there even when the cons are grim.
There are a few big fish kicking around and tons of little ones.


The salmon are still on the redds and it is special to just stand there and watch them.

Untitled from Gene Norland on Vimeo.


The clock is ticking and we are all waiting for water.
Now back to the real world..
...as in real shitty.
( Baby crying in the background )
lol

11 comments:

Wallacio said...

"On day two I bumped into Harv at the Mcdonalds washroom" I'm sure you did, many times!

Nice fish dude.

I finally managed a decent one the other day from the home water - was long overdue.

Yours in diaper duty solidarity...

Trotsky said...

Oh yeah... I banged the hell out of that firecrotched little homo..
Deer camp will do that to you.....and it is bad Karma to turn down love...in any form.
Glad the skunk is out for you.
Any pics?
I hope all is well with the family.
The swine flu has already been and gone for the Norlands...go figure.
Ave is a tough little monkey and she is taking her medicine well.
Stepping on spiders here....

18 Mile said...

Sweet Jesus...enough with the fire crotch. Nice pics skunkmaster general. Some friends hit a few GB tribs and did well. Hope your girls turn on soon.

Trotsky said...

Skunkmaster?
Thems fightin words...
:o/

Harv said...

I had to shit so bad I had the shakes - you were the one standing in the washroom with both hands down your pants...... you had a weird look in your eye like I just interrupted something!!

While it was bizarre "bumping" into you at McDonalds it was great to fish with you again.

You gotta get working out if you want to keep up with me on the river old man!

I wish you could have fished today.

Harv said...

BTW that is quite the bird's nest there - how long did it take you to get out of that one???

Oh yeah, that was me!! I am Norland........

Trotsky said...

Now Now..There can be only one Norland and that is my cross to bear...
Verily I say unto thee...

lambton said...

Shame on both of you...Kids frequent McDonalds.
You two Homo's need to "Git your Freak on" in private.

Gross!

GT said...

OMG...Gene you are truly hilarious. Great recap. Nice fish..... and deer. I feel "odd" that the part about buming into Harv at Mc'Donalds sticks in my mind the most from your post.

GT said...

" buming " - Oh shit... that was a typo, really!!! I meant to type "bumping" !!!

Trotsky said...

GT...
Bumin?
No sport in it so I will leave that one alone.
;o)