About Me

My photo
I am just a guy who uses fishing and playing guitar to keep myself sane...or at least try to.

Monday, December 14, 2009

Back At It...



I am going to continue to BLOG.....but I think that I will go private.

There has been a lot of goofy shit that has gone on this month and although I have calmed down considerably about it I can't shake the fact that I have placed something dear to me in harms way due in a large part to my own vanity.


I had someone insinuate once through this medium that I considered myself 'Elitist'.
This is Ironic considering that I have spent most of my life searching for a sense of community.
My search has been non-resultant.


Human behaviour throws me to the degree that I sometimes wonder if I am even human myself.
Probably not...lol.



I love fishing for these fish and I love the area where I fish for them just as much and I can't with a clear conscience keep this public if I chose to continue to keep a journal of my experiences.

Chasing these fish I have managed to run across a few kindred spirits.

One is a landowner.
A landowner that up until very recently has extended a very generous hand out to the people who pursue these fish.
Unfortunately he has had a very understandable change of heart....and people are going to have to respect it one way or another.

It saddens me to think that he'll be forced to take any formal action. He and his family are looking for a peaceful life and only seek the respect they deserve.
Sometimes it is the gracious people that get shit on the most.
Sometimes quite literally.

It would be a very bad mistake to use my name to find favour with anyone , but particularly with this man and his family.

I love this sport and depend on it so much that removing myself from it would be similar to asking someone to stop breathing...
However..
...It is undoubtedly a sport full of self serving shortsighted vane greedy people that have zero regard for others.
It is a sport that is bereft of veteran leadership and I can find no community within it.
This was the reason I removed myself from the public forums dedicated to this sport and it is now the reason why I am choosing to make this BLOG a private one.

Two important things...
I don't harbour any grudges against anyone.
Blogger has a feature where I can invite people to participate in my BLOG format.
All I need ( I think ?) is their email address that they use with their Blogger account so if anybody cares to they are welcome to shoot me an email and I will invite them.
It should be understood that the things that I recount here are of a somewhat private nature and I expect people to respect that....particularly location...and ESPECIALLY ACCESS.
I will leave this post public for a week or so and then I will pull the whole BLOG.
It has been fun and has really added to the quality of the outdoor experience for me but I think going private is the responsible thing to do.
Word of mouth is bad enough without the search engine peril and
I have tried to be careful...but have failed.


"My River"....
It is as much mine as anybodies and I am super pleased when I can hike the river and not see a ton of people...particularly the type of people that will have a negative impact on the fishery or jeopordize the ability to access the river.
The access point that we(Brian and I)use is NOT open to the public and I have been asked to spread the word on this and to even "help keep an eye on things".
Fish the river...just find a legal way to access it.

Anyhoo...there have been a number of sad stories swirling around my life at present.
Nobody said life was easy and I am not looking for sympathy....everybody has problems.
My kids are healthy and I love them. My beautiful Wife and I are more in love than ever.
The other stuff will fade...
The fishing helps...these beautiful fish and the beautiful surroundings are BIG medicine for me.

I even managed to catch my first Steelhead on a JIG!!
Very cool...
This little event has forced me to clean up my horror show of a fly tying desk and blow the dust off my flytying chops....If I ever had any!!
Morin has gone JIG gay and has asked me to tie him a hundred or so...


Here is my first attempt


Morin and I have been out and all is as it should be....
Other than the fact that he is growing horns out his back


...and has gone insane.
Hopefully we'll get out a few more times before the season shuts down.
Let the healing begin.

15 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm gonna miss this blog. I read it all the time. Such a shame...

Trotsky said...

I am going to go out on a limb and assue you are being genuine 'Chad'...lol
I am not sure if I know you or not but thx for the kind words.
It was fun and still will be and I regret that I feel like owe it to the river and my fish friends to be a little more selective about who I share this with.
Feel free to contact me.
Gene

Joe said...

I checked the EXIF data in these photos, and was relieved to see that none were from Monday, as it was tough on Sunday; lots of little ones in the area where you, Brian and I fished seven years ago, but the 'predicatively productive' areas were chock full 'o' ice.

I like the decision you have made, as I am sure that some people use these reports along with the Scitech data to time their own excursions....to hell with them.

I removed my own site as I no longer wanted to share any information or photos with anyone, as fishing is private. This year was one of the best few months size & numbers wise, and I only ended up fishing in NY for a single day.....go figure.

Best regards,

J

Trotsky said...

10-4 and thx for the support Joe.
I haven't been out since Brian and I fished last week...but I am dying too.
I was going to fishing tomorrow but if you are saying the river is locked up I may have to rethink things.
I wouldn't have thought it would be that bad.
I will probably have to find out the hard way...which is really the best way anyway.
There is always brunch at Aunt Gussies as a consolation prize..
;o)

T. Brook Smith said...

Gadamit, Gene, all my best bloggers are shutting down. You can't quit too!

You're letting the idiots win, man!

I thought that was something we had in common...all the idiots who crossed us buried in our basem....I mean our love of the outdoors in spite of all forms of adversity!

If you do quit, I'd like to be able to read your "private" blog still. I'm down here in Belize still and can't do you any harm.

Peace.

Trotsky said...

Ha!
"There was a young man from Belize...."
Your in..just send me an email and I will include you for sure.
I will be fhsing the frozen wasteland tomorrow and will try to think of you basking in the tropics...
..as far as letting the idiots win....
I am the idiot.

Trotsky said...

Btw...my buddy Brian has had an article published in Salmon Trout Steelheader...
I am very proud of that inhuman piece of dogshit..
lol

Harv said...

You are a good man Gene Norland, and I am happy to call you a friend.

I really enjoy your blog as your outlook on life and your sense of humour are delightfull.

I too have come to a crossroads regarding blogging - I am unlikely to fish again this year so my 1 year commitment to Piscatorial Pursuits has come to fruition. I am not likely to continue with it into 2010.

I do think there are some really good people out there that share our passion and a sense of 'community' can and does exist but there are just too many 'others' out there with alterior motives that ruin it for the rest of us.

Please include me with continued access to your Blog and lets keep in touch over the winter months.

later dude

HArv

Trotsky said...

Same here HARV...
Shuttin er down eh?
...toughen up dude!
I was out today and it was some much fun chipping ice off the float and guides!!!!!
....And boy I love a good brisk wind thrown in for added bonus!!!
:o/
Winter Steelheading indeed.
If you have change of heart I am only working 2 days for the rest of the year.
Keep in touch and happy holidays.

GT said...

Gene,

While I fully understand your decisions. This blog was some of the most entertaining out there.

Cheers for keeping this up as long as you have.

GT

lambton said...

O.K.
Nobody has commented on the coon pic! WTF?????
That shit is funny! What's wrong with all you Mfer's!
I almost missed the horns coming out of my back pic. LOL!!!
That's classic as well. I am not human! I came to terms with it a long time ago...
Thanks for the STS plug ;0)
I'm a literary hack but we have had some amazing adventures which made the story easy to write. It became important to me to accomplish publication. LOL!! Once I get shit in my head...

Hope we can pull a few more out of the hat for this season.

Trotsky said...

Both you guys are gay....
I hate slush.

Harv said...

Trust me Brian, I had a pretty good chuckle over the 'coon pose'!!! You guys are freaks - funny freaks though!!!!

I have not been able to find an issue of STS as of yet but I will increase my search tactics now that I have a week off.

Another 2009 outing would be nice but I am starting to think maybe she is all done for me for this decade!!

later

Trotsky said...

Harv..
I would give you my copy of STS but the pages are all stuck together....
Just nicely getting the feeling back in my fingers..
The weather outside was frightfull...

Bill Shearer said...

Great Blog, and understand your reasoning.
Seems like all come to the same conclusion over time.