About Me

My photo
I am just a guy who uses fishing and playing guitar to keep myself sane...or at least try to.

Saturday, January 16, 2010

The Eye...


Yesterday Morin and I fished.

It was a good day.


A great day to be on the river....except for the fact that Morin caught a demon fish.
Fucking thing had the weirdest eye and it kept following him wherever he moved to...
Gave me the creeps and I was glad when we got the friggin thing back in the water...good for a few nightmares..

The weather so far this year has be unseasonably warm...knock on wood....and as per usual Morin was chomping at the bit to get some fishing in.



Well ..we both were.

Last year at this time we'd booked a trip with Jeff Stuhan.


Jeff is a fishing guide out of Michigans Muskegon area and this time of year he runs jetboat Steelhead trips up the Muskegon and Pere Marquette rivers.


We'd had so much fun and such great success last year that we'd pretty much decided to make this an annual thing. It is a nice way to usher in the new year and it offers a really unique way to fish for the fish that we have come to love so much.

Jeff is more than just a guide. He is a real hoot to fish with and we spent most of the day laughing our heads off and eating the venison pepperettes he brings along.
They are amazing...great big thick muthas with chunks of cheddar....


No iced guides to worry about this year...
It was like a spring day out there on the river and although the river had been fishing slow by all accounts we still put the hurt on them.



The Michigan fish are very strong an rank right up there with our own fish. The first fish I hooked I lifted up on at the end of a drift and fishy just turned and started swimming. By the time we'd decided that we should pull anchor and chase it there was a ton of line out....too much....then....slack line...ugh..


I had even beefed up a bit for this trip.
It was the first day that I have used the Kamasan Sedge Hooks and I am very impressed with them.


There is no relief on the Muskegon and it is a good place to test the gear as well as your shoulders.


Mine are still sore.
Road trips are awesome and this one was a good one.
I managed to pass my recert last week even though one minute I'd shoot like Wyatt Earp and the next Mr.Magoo. Being tested like that takes a lot out of you and a day on the river did wonders to help me unwind and put that shit behind me.


That big old river is a very peaceful place to fish this time of year and even though you can't help but wonder what kind of a smack we'd put on them during the peak times I'll take a lonely old flow with just turkeys and eagles for company any day.
I got lucky on this trip and landed a hen that after some consideration makes the top ten list.


LOL
Oh oh...
I am not sure which fish gets the bounce but this little lady gets the nod for sheer strength and beauty,
Amazing colours on this fish...breathtaking.
I still haven't bagged my Michigan double striper but this colourful girl is way sexy.
With the bigger fish Jeff lifts the anchor and breaks out the oars and yesterday he saved me from disaster a number of times just by maneuvering the boat.


It is a cool thing to participate in and I am glad we've discovered it.
Makes me wish I was back there right now.

4 comments:

lambton said...

Nice write up. It was a great day out there. Glad we decided to take advantage of it. That will buy us some time til March.
I'd love to fish the MO again his year but we have to be careful...too much of a good thing can ruin it.
That Hen of yours was stellar!

Trotsky said...

Yeah...I agree.
I would like to get back there but maybe if we get desperate in Feb!!!
LOL
Cool river though.

GT said...

Very nice..... just the entry I had been waiting for. Living vicariously through you guys. Just can't make it over there this month.

Trotsky said...

It was awesome GT.
You really need to find a way to try this at lest once!!
Very cool.