About Me

My photo
I am just a guy who uses fishing and playing guitar to keep myself sane...or at least try to.

Monday, January 11, 2010

I Am Coming Out...

....I admit it.

I love icefishing!

LOVE IT

Especially with Ella.

Icefishing with Ella 2010 from Gene Norland on Vimeo.



She has been bugging me to take her icefishing since like September so today I finally got the gear together and made it happen.
I am really glad that I did.
We had a blast....even though we had a couple of tag alongs.
My Mother in Law offered to watch little Avery and through that Gerry got wind of our little hard water action plan and joined us ...with my nephew Luke.

Gerry is one thing.....he is always welcome.

LUKE?
:o/

I wasn't sure how it'd go with little Lukey-Bear as he is a tad on the wild side but the fish action was constant and gave him very little window of opportunity for destruction.

Untitled from Gene Norland on Vimeo.



We hit the Pond at 10:00 am and had holes drilled 10 minutes later.....pulled the plug at 10:40 and headed for Hot chocolate which we had in hand by 10:55.
The kids got about 20 sunfish between them.. heavily slanted in Ellas favour ;o)
Sunfish are always so co operative when it comes to family fun.
I feel like I really owe them a debt of gratitude.



It was like they were waiting there for us.

I drilled the first hole ... scooped out the slush ...dropped down the line and as soon as the line went straight there was a fish pulling on it!!!!
LOL
Perfect for kids...but it made it tough to get on video.
I had to rush to get the camera ready or they'd have the fish on the ice.

Great day for all of us.

Special thx to Morin for the use of his auger among other things....

On the other side of life I have to recertify with my Duty Firearm this week and that has me a little worked up.
I don't travel well for one thing and I haven't shot very well at my last few practices.
If I fail I will have to travel yet again and probably be gone for a week...and that doesn't appeal to me at all.
I recognize the need for the F/A and I am glad that I have one at work but I don't like guns...gun people or shooting particularly much.
I am hoping that I shoot a decent number and work out whatever bad habits that have settled on my grip...and then I can get on with my real life....
<><
25 metres is a long shot with a pistol.
..Especially for this old fart...

10 comments:

Harv said...

Hey, nothing wrong with admitting you like ice fishing - it has its time and place!!

Good luck with the recert.

Trotsky said...

Thx Harv..
I had a group of knuckleheads through my lane heading for the hardwater yesterday.
They were just fucking giddy!!!
LOL
..There are some fishing freaks that only fish hardwater I think.
They mentioned that "the fish were really starting to go at 'BassHaven'"...
We should check it out..I would be up for it.
Any excuse to get out of the house this time of year.
BTW...I Booked my Big 'V' today...AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
:oO

GT said...

Great day with the kids you had Gene. Glad you came out of the closet on ice fishing. LOL. Ice fishing is great fun, especially to pass the winter away.

"Big V" - wasn't that a drugstore chain? Does one wish another luck on such a thing? Anyways, I hope it all goes well.

Harv said...

some guys are absolutely nutso over the hard water - for me it is just a way to pass the cold winter months.

the big V - atta boy!!!

I am off for 8 starting friday so I will likely be making my way to Michells Bay at some point - I will let you know.

Trotsky said...

It is all in vain anyway regarding the "V" snip.....there is no stopping this wee little dust-puffing nub...
I am a little freaked out...the place I am booked in with only excepts cash...and two weks in advance...WTF is that ?
:o{
Let me know Harv about hardwater...I'd be willing to giver a go....provided I don't shoot myself in the foot this week.

lambton said...

O.K.
A couple things here.
1. I'm glad Ella got her ice fishing jones in.

2. I fishing is for kids and fags.

3. Lukey bear walked through my backyard? I'm glad cody wasn't out or Lukey bear would have bit him in the face.

4. Ice fishing is for kids and fags.

5. Norland and Harv are fags.

6. Good luck on the recert. If you shoot well you will have all that extra time to ice fish.

7. Last but not least...WTF is wrong with you. My friggin vet takes credit. ARe you getting it done in the back room of a Vietnamiese Nail Studio. Christ...
It should be free! you know...OHIP

Trotsky said...

Cody wasn't happy about us being there at all...lol
The Snip..$140 service charge on top of what OHIP gets dinged....
I may by myself and ezacto knife and open a clinic.
You can be my assitant and fluff them if the get frightened you homo.
More disturbing than the above is the fact that Lukey-Bear now has caught more fish than both of us this year...
See you on Friday

Harv said...

$140 service charge???? WTF is that???? I didn't have to pay a dime.

Who are you seeing Dr Nick Riviera???? LOL

If you practice with your firearm as much as you practice firing off your other pistol your recert will be a breeze!!!!

Sounds like your fishing Friday!!! Good luck out there you freaks!! Can't wait for the blog entries.

Maybe you can practice by firing BOTH pistols at Morin over in Michigan!!!

GT said...

Vietnamese Nail Studio? Why didn't you say so? I could gotten you a discount.......

( good luck on the recert BTW)

Wallacio said...

Ice fishing rulz...where else can you rube shoulders with even more shitrats than when out Steelheading???

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/Wallacio/IMG_1403.jpg[/IMG]

Good luck with the big V at the back alley clinic. Bring your own blow-torch so ensure they sterilize the instruments first!