About Me

My photo
I am just a guy who uses fishing and playing guitar to keep myself sane...or at least try to.

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Frustration and the 'Noggin o' Grande'




On November 22nd I did a dumb thing.
I tried to step down off Mobile Vacis unit I am assigned to at work and forget to let go of the railing. Gave my wrist a nice tug with all 190 lbs of me hanging there and managed to break my wrist....broken in the sense that it is not working anymore.
The pain wasn't and isn't too bad for most things but I decided , particularly after being lectured by my mother hen teamates ( I love you guys) to go to the hospital.
I have no faith in our local charlatan heath care sages. The facilities in this city are third world and I figure half these nit-wits are on the run from something.
Long story short, after numerous x-rays and a bone scan I still am not sure what is wrong with my wrist but I do know for certain that it is feeling better now.
I can type .....and I can fish,...albeit with a great deal of athletic tape and a wee bit of discomfort. Season ends in about three weeks....my wrist can go to hell.
I have another visit to the 'doctor' on Wednesday morning and I can only assume that the bone scan results are negative by the way this thing feels.We'll see.
Regardless...I will fish Thursday.
Sunday was a fun day.
I needed to get away so I decided to fish.
Brian and I were forced out of our comfort zone due to dangerously high water and pointed the windshield north towards a river with an enormous cranium.
Judging by the watergraph and thanks to a friendly tip we guessed that this river would probably be fishable and might be the only fishable water in the entire province after the deluge of last week....and it was.
We certainly didn't drill them. Brian narrowly avoided a skunking.
I don't know what I am going to do with him.
The man is useless and might be the worst fisherman I have ever seen.
He is also insane.
At one point he spent the better part of an hour staring at an impaled rodent that had ben stuck to a thorn bush by some kind of a bird. Hey David Suzuki!,there are fish to be caught!True story. I wish I had made it up,....I had a 3 hr ride home with the guy.....without my pepperspray.Freak.
I love it up there, although the last time I was there the apple orchards were in full bloom....on this trip it was a blooming snowstorm.
I love fishing in that weather. The fish aren't as fiesty ...although the ones we caught fought well considering the temps and were kind enough in retrospect not to punish my wrist too much.
I got to meet a good friend for the first time on Sunday. That is a strange comment but an accurate one.
I read an article recently in MacLeans entitled "The Internet Sucks".
I agreed with most of it. The worshiping of technology is a symptom....but the complete bashing of it is just as bad if not worse.
I am a fishing nerd and up until just recently I was a regular on numerous fishing websites where fellow fish nerds got to know one another and shared ideas. Through this medium I have gotten to know quite a few people.
Some I have become familiar with and see eye to eye with and some I would like to step on their necks.
Of the former a fellow Steelheader that runs with the moniker "Wallacio" I have been trying to get together with to share a run for years (?).
I suppose the bad weather finally forced our hands and I am very glad it did.
It was great to meet finally a guy I have communicated with on a number of occasions and see what he is all about.
This class act .. a very trusting and generous soul, put us on some water that was if not overly productive, lovely to fish....and I will return the favour.It takes a special type of person ,particularly a sportsman, to trust 'strangers' to some of his
favourite fishing holes. I look forward to fishing with him again. This time the tours on us.:o)
This aspect of the net certainly doesn't 'suck'.
Very good to meet you and fish with you Wallacio!
Unfortunately just when I was starting to like him he managed to catch the nicest fish of the day and quite possibly the coolest looking buck I have seen this season.
Creep.
I hope they don't find the body.
Nice fish though.
Good day fellas......thx ...I needed it.

7 comments:

lambton said...

I want to go back and look at that shrew again :0)
Kinda resemble you a little G with all that facial hair!
Hey, I bet I could land a steelie on a shrew...

Anonymous said...

So what's the verdict from this mornings appointment ?

I'm told E-Dale could be in your guys near future. Keep me abreast on that, would love to hook-up with you guys & pass on my current "Mojo" to you...

Tis the Season for giving ya know... lol

Trotsky said...

Todays appointment went as good as it could've.
I have a slight fracture in my hand!(?) :O/ ..but the wrist is just ligament damage.
I talked him out of a cast provided I don't punch anyone in the face/neck/chest or zygomata.
I just have to take it easy..."only you know how much it hurts and what you can do and cannot do".....
Probably should've told him I was a Steelheader......but I guess that would'nt have been too 'Shrew'd'
:O)
Look out fish...I am back.

Anonymous said...

I guess it has finally gotten too cold for Wallacio to go for his usual "swim with the fishes" :-D

Great report, Gene. Us fish nerds will have to get together some time.

Glad to hear you're on the road to recovery.

Trotsky said...

Yeah 10-4.
If that guy wades water any deeper he'll have to break out the aqua-lung......not even sure what that is but it sounded funny.
Just got done tying up some bags for tomorrow....flying solo for a change....feels good to shake loose that dead weight Morin.
;-)
BTW- Who said anything about the Bighead?
Not even sure where that is.

lambton said...

Thats alright G. I'll be there Friday to pick up the 30 or so you miss. Gotta recharge the gloves!! As for Wallace. Next time he fishes with us and catches the biggest fish he'll be going swiming for certain ;0)

I told ya you should have clipped his line!

Trotsky said...

The way that thing was bossin' him around I thought he was going to get pulled in!
;o)