About Me

My photo
I am just a guy who uses fishing and playing guitar to keep myself sane...or at least try to.

Saturday, November 29, 2008

An Act Of God...


I remember that in the not too distant past a 1 for 4 day , with quality fish, under less than ideal circumstances, would've had me grinnin ear to ear.
Well... I have come to expect more.
This speaks to the quality of our fishery as well as to my skills I suppose even though I am more than willing to acknowledge that I am hovering right around mediocre...lol....especially lately.
I kinda miss the good old days when a 10 or 12 fish season would fill me with pride. There seemed to be more mystery to the game then.
There is no going back of course but I have been struggling to maintain a philosphy about this little pastime lately.


This season is wearing on my nerves ....and yesterday around 10:00 I was right prepared to call it a complete write-off.
I have today regrouped and can laugh about it a little...very little.
Dig this...
Yesterday I arrived at water and found hope....in a season bereft of hope....I found hope.


The Giant Niagra like river that our river has become had dropped to a level that was almost recognizable and had right around 12" of visabilty. With no real precipitation in the forecast I also knew that not only would it continue to drop throughout the day but it would also warm and clear even further and right around noonish I could expect to, excuse the vulgarity...beat the living shit out of them...


My gameplan was to circumvent the GBO/FFnet spawned dirtbags and hike way up and start at the top. Crossing the river was tricky to the point of stupid and looking back I regret the risk but we've all been there .
By the time I reached the starting point the morning was well underway.
First drift...Bang..fish on....
It was a strong take and the fish fought very well and even jumped a few times...very impressive considering the temps caused by the melting snow.
Slid the fishy in for a quick photo-op... walked back up for the next drift.
Bang fish-on...


Here I slide into a very Morin-esque fit of uselessness...
The next three fish were all winners...lol....good for them. It didn't even bother me at the time and it served me right really for teasing Morin so much lately for being useless ....and he is useless!!
...After all ... I had an entire day of easy pickin's ahead of me.
Then the water starts to turn...
:o/
Slowly at first...
I tried to hike above it but that didn't seem to help so I turned back and tried to get to the a spot we call the wintering hole before it all goes for a turd...
I stopped at the sausage run to fish the tailout and I witness something that I have never seen before.
The water goes from 12" to ZERO....like I mean pure MUD in an instant!!!!
I look upstream and can actually see this wall of mud coming downstream and ruining everything.
Unreal.
It looked like someone had dumped it into the river.
I can only assume that one of the clay banks upstream must've had a slide or something.
My luck is running....
WTF...
I could've hopped in the car and tried to get above it but I had neither the time nor the energy so I called 'no joy' and turned towards the hike out with my tail between my legs.
I must've wronged someone at somepoint...Maybe God is punishing me for hangin around that shitrat Morin??
Oh well...
Today after Hockey my son and I made our annual donation of toys to the Salvation army...Ho Ho Ho...maybe I'll get some bonus points with the big fella for that one. If nothing else this very small act seems to help get me into the Christmas spirit.....no small feat sometimes.Morin is out today...and of course they will hammer them....
MFers'..
BTW...If I ever run into the POS that is leaving his crushed Busch Lite cans on the river I am going to open his fucking head.

6 comments:

lambton said...

Nice!!!!!
I didn't fish today BTW...
Long story but I feel much better for it. Oh ya...unexpected outage starting Sunday and running the entire week for me. NIce...OT but most likely no fishing. :0.
We'll see...I think I can slip one in there somewhere. ;0)
I'm glad you are finding some confidance in off coloured water. That really is unsettling about your luck with the wall-O-mud. Seriously...there must have been greater powers at work there. Seems to fit in line with my theory that you really are a POS!
Sorry I couldn't have been there!
Maybe...just maybe we can sneak one in next week.
As my kids say...Peace Out!

lambton said...

Oh ya...I'm gettin rather tired of the Beer cans myself and perhaps that will be dealt with some day. But I guess if mankind can kill a Walmart Employee for a bargain why would there be any concern for the environment. Some people are just Shit-bags.

Trotsky said...

Yeah..
I may pack 'er in for a while too.
Second Deer hunt next week and with these warm temps the trigger happy Jethro are chopping at the bit I am sure...besides..next week they are putting in the furnace and I am having that Eco Action Home energy audit done as well.
They may just recommend that I burn the house down but the $$ rebate on the furnace they give you is pretty sweet.
Too bad you guys didn't fish. The three of us will have to get together for a fishy reunion at some point..preferably after the waters have dropped and the temps haved plummetted...and the stars are aligned and my period stops and bla bla bla...christ I am a whiner....

Anonymous said...

2 for 4 today, lads in the lower end. I put a full day in from casting into deep blue dawn, until the sun almost squinted on the horizon. Most of the action came early, well before noon; that said, I tangled with a fish in a similar class to the one I had mounted in the spring. Fighting it, for around five minutes elicited adolescent like emotions, similar to asking the "dime' girl in 8th grade to the grad dance. In comparison to last year, it was a meager day, but in the context of how conditions have been it was rather triumphant. In anticipation of Deer Season Mk II, I have a windstopper fleece jacket in HD Realtree Gray that will likely be received in perfect timing (from Cabelas). Not many half-East Indian deer around you know ( I think them boyz call us 'piebald')...lol

Trotsky said...

Nice work Joe....do you have a link for me yet?
Your half Indian?
lol
...I have been told that I am half retarded.
I hate half truths.
;o)
Hey seriously though...if you are going in next week get some bright colours on. The boys who didn't pick one up on the first hunt are now not only useless but desperate and with no foilage on the trees ...well that makes for a bad scene and I have seen some really weird shit in there.

lambton said...

Good job Joe! Nice Work... Sure wish I could have been there with you today. Next week!
As for the deer hunt and your quote
" Not many half-East Indian deer around you know ( I think them boyz call us 'piebald')..."
I'd say some of them boys might just call you a trophy! LOL!!!
But more along Gene's remarks...do be careful. We walked right up on a fellow up in a tree before he informed us of his whereabouts. Scared the K-rap out of me. He did commend us for flying our colours. Blaze orange ;o)
Looking forward to your blog entry!