About Me

My photo
I am just a guy who uses fishing and playing guitar to keep myself sane...or at least try to.

Sunday, May 03, 2009

Days 1,2, and 3...


Well the derby is in full swing and I have to admit I am enjoying the hell out of it!!!!
So far we have had some really nice weather and the fishing has been good enough to keep everyone happy.
I think we have weighed in right around 16 fish and most of the fish appear to be bright and healthy.
The kings are finding food somewhere and the downriggin good old boys are all smiles.
I could do wthout all the useless radio chatter but it is easy to understand.
Most of these guys look forward to this all year.
... My father in law is one of them.


He really lives for this event and it is a great thing that we can do together as a family.
All year long Gerry donates his time as a volunteer at the local hatchery raising money and organizing this event for the area and it is nice to see him participate and do well in it.
So far there has been a crew of four on the SS RUBE.
Gerry is the Captain and the deckhands are My brother in law Mike, his son Erik and myself.


Gerry has a great boat and being on the water fishing out of it is very relaxing even when the weather is a bit snotty.


Our biggest fish so far has been a 12 lb KING that was caught today. These spring KINGS are nothing like they appear in the fall. They hit hard and peel line like freight trains.
Silver as dimes and full of piss.

Nephew Salmon battle from Gene Norland on Vimeo.




Erik has finally made it to the point where he can fight a fish from start to finish and todays fish was a rite of passage....in fact a great and proud moment for all of us.


I am down for a few days and surprisingly I am sad to think that I won't be able to join them out there again until Thursday.
LOL

6 comments:

Harv said...

Great work Gene.

Dad and I used to do a lot of downrigging for salmon and I really miss those days.

The video was cool and I could tell by your voice that you were enjoying every minute of it.

HArv

lambton said...

:0. OMG...

The cooler of death!
Glad to hear you guys are getting into them. Good for Gerry!

Hey, Don't let Harv talk you into tipping those CreamSickles with Monkey Balls ;0)

Rubes...the lot of ya I say!

Wallacio said...

Nice Gene.f

It's great to see those Huron kings again. Like Harv, we spent many summer mornings with my father chasing them up near Kincardine....it would be nice to be able to get back at it again.

Hopefully the GB ones can rebound as well - they are worthy adversaries in the Notty...not booty at all like their Lake O cousins.

Trotsky said...

Thx guys...
It is a little Rube -esque but very very fun.
A fella weighed in today between 14 and 15 lbs...
Typically that would mean this early that a 17-18 lber will win the event.
The size is up again from last year...very encouraging for the open water game.

JDA said...

Kings are where it is at, awesome to see fish of that size again, but I would guess that they are still rare.

That is not Rube-eque at all, the definition of that would be the hatch of Panther-Martins and spring-loaded bobbers I saw on the lower 'Shire on Saturday. Some nice fish around still, good luck tomorrow.

Trotsky said...

Thx Joe.
I really love trolling...
It can be a very relaxing and challenging way to fish.
I enjoy it so much that I am considering buying a boat of my own.
It is a great way to fill the summer gap between the rivers.
The are a good number of big fat Kings being caught down this way and up towards Lexington on the US side.
I don't think that we'll ever see it like it was in its hay day but if you can go out for a moring and hit 3-6 good fish that is a decent fishery in my book.
Later
gene