About Me

My photo
I am just a guy who uses fishing and playing guitar to keep myself sane...or at least try to.

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The Man Who Was Tuesday


It poured rain Saturday and all the rivers went for a poop.
This always sucks and at this time of year I get very few kicks at the cat before the bugs ,the Derby and the warm temp shut me down.
I had Tuesday off and was pinning my fishy hopes on it.
It didn't look good.
The River Graph hadn't been updated and the word on the street was that all the rivers were blown.
The home river would probably settle up nicely for Thursday/Friday...while I am at work.
Morin is a jackass...
He is now on a first name basis with one of the government water graph people. When the site is down it doesn't take that OCD POS long to start raising hell.
About midway through he morning on Tuesday I get an email from him telling me that according to his connection at the MNR the river should be just on the edge of fishable and that I should "Get off my Manjina and head up there for the evening bite"
Indeed...
After getting clearance from the Warden and a ultraquick throw together of my gear I am 'en route'
My heart is soaring....
The Tiger Woods golf on the PS2 just wasn't getting er done.
An hour and a half later I am making my first drift through water that although isn't good...isn't half bad either.


I also know that in about three or so hours the water is going to to be sliding right nice into sexy.
I start hooking creek chubs...
These are hideous fish and worse is that they are roe gobblers....and I in my haste.. didn't bring much.
I fish the first pool for an hour and blow two fish.
I am trying to stay confident but the memories of the opener haunt me.
(And yes I am now using heavier line!!!!....You win fuckers!!!)
WTF?
I don't have much success on the lower river and with my roe supply precarious I decide to start hiking and pin all of my hopes on the upper runs.
Off I go.
Some water I just can't walk past.
More creek chubs and I blow another fish.... a fish that I was playing rather carelessy...thinking it was a giant smallmouth...until it broke the surface and spit the hook.
:o/
Useless...
I carry on up the river...
The next run I notice that the river has cleared considerably.
Way down in the tailout of my first drift I set up on a Steelie....three or four violent headshakes and gone...
At this pint I am really starting to get bummed... I mean really....?
I consider just packing up and heading home convinced that the fish gods are out to punish me.
Brave carry on.
One more push.
A long hike through the woods and I come upon the crossing where the three runs that I have been thinking about all day present themselves...with water that is stunning.
The first run has to be fished from the opposite bank and off I go.
The river has changed since the winter and the spot where I usually cross is less than friendly.
I had already tripped and fallen four times on the day so you'd think that I would be more careful??
The water is really moving...I am in it up to my chest....preoccupied with buck fever and riddled with exhaustion...
In I go ...right up to my chin....lol
The camera is in the ziplock bag...but both the neoprene pouch for my reel and the roe are gone...
How is my day going....?
I made it all the way to the water I wanted to fish so badly...with nothing to fish with..
I just about cried.... and I am not kidding.
Does anybody but me have days like this?
well....
I dig through my vest looking for artificials and low an behold find about 20 loose salmon eggs in a baggy.
Hope...
I also find four pieces of peach mesh.
In desperation I manage to tie up four little roe bags and cut the tops off.
I walk dejected up to the top run and mustering up as much courage as possible I lob one in...


It didn't get two feet.



:o)
This fish was a beast and really kicked the shit out of me.


I had to pull a little river runs through action when she headed out the bottom chute but here she is...glorious gem of a fish.

I was four for six on those peach roe bags with the magic Manistee Salmon Roe.
All hot fish ...all crazy leapers...god bless 'em.

A Magical day...one that I will never forget...but I could have done without the drama.


LOL
Anybody have an extra reel pouch?

9 comments:

Wallacio said...

LOL - good thing that you found those eggs man or else you would have been sifting your navel for lint to affix to your hook. Even worse, turning over logs to find *gasp* Earthworms!!!

Nice fish!!!!

Trotsky said...

Lint on my navel.
I never thought of that.
lol
Always an adventure with me.... I get tired of being around myself.
Later you dew wormfishing freak

Harv said...

Good on ya buddy! I opted out of fishing Tues as I thought that rain would have put her off quick - my bad!!

It was running nice today though!!

Nice fish dude - good luck in the Derby!!

18 Mile said...

Overcoming obstacles to achieve victory!Great read.

lambton said...

Oh the drama...LOL!!! Always friggin drama with you ;0)
I don't believe you shot up there mid day! Good on you dude!
Those last minute decisions in haste pay dividends sometimes and I doubt you will ever forget this day! Today was stupid back there once I shaked the vermin.

P.S. I think Wallace keeps "Dewies" in his cheek.

Trotsky said...

When you say shake the vermin ...is that code for masterbate??
Freak..
Thx for the kind words boys.
This weather may have shut the derby down before it even starts...oiy..
If I only had the energy to tie up some roe....just in case

lambton said...

Don't kid yourself...You'd surely loose that roe on the walk in.

I like that first pic. It makes me feel good. You need to buy that place for us and build an MI Log type cottage there.

You know...we have it pretty damn good in our neck of the woods.

Trotsky said...

You are a POS..
6 for 8 today in the derby.
Nothing to brag about though. Fresh salmon for the BBQ tonight!!
;o)
I am already tired...

PaulGHurtubise said...

The best days are the one you pull out of the jaws of despair. Great report, and good for you for persevering and not listening to horse anatomy sniffers like lambton....

p.-