About Me

My photo
I am just a guy who uses fishing and playing guitar to keep myself sane...or at least try to.

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Pregame Warm-up...

I headed up to the Saugeen today.


It is a pretty river that I don't fish very often and after hearing some moderate reports and being too lazy to head to MI by myself I decided to give it a go.
If nothing else the Windshield time would be good for the soul.

I love the drive up that way and there are a number of pleasant little stops available. The Harveys at Goderich makes the best burgers in the world. I don't know why they are better than our local Harveys burgers but they just are.

:o)
I hit the river at first light and to my pleasant surprise was the only one at the parking lot when I arrived.
I geared up and made my way over to the steps.
Here I noticed a new Grant Ferris sign that has been placed in his honour.



I always liked Grant and seeing this reminder placed kind of a poignant spin on the beginning of the day.
I wonder if there will ever be a sign erected in my honour?
Doubtful.
I am not very familiar with the Saugeen....or 'GEEN' if you only speak shitstain.
I spent a fair amount of time just wandering around looking at the water trying to decide where I had fished before and where I should begin today.
It didn't take long for the bank maggot hatch to start coming off and I decided that I had better get my float in there.
I picked some seamy looking water and let it fly just as the first brood of dirtbags came upon me.
First drift and I am into one.
I got a real good look at it when it came out of the water...then I got a real good look at my float as it came flying back at me.
Oh well...great start really...more than I could've hoped for.
So I take a knee and re-tie. Five minutes later when I stand up I am surrounded.
One thing I will never understand about that river.....tons of room to move around but if you hook a fish look out because the entire crew will stand on your shoulders.....and the weird thing is that none of them even acknowledge your existence?
lol
They are like zombies.
Fuck them.
I left them to it and walked down about 100 metres where shortly after I hook this fish.


Spring fish....they are something else.
They look rough but they fight like stink.


Shortly after releasing it I notice that I am surrounded again.
One guy actually seemed pissed off that I let the fish go????
Try and get your head around that madness??


I tried not to let it ruin my day and I suppose that I should thicken my skin for the Steelhead opener this coming Saturday but the Saugeen was a meathunting shitrat floss-fest today and I gotta believe that Mr. Ferris is rolling in his grave.
Rest in Peace.

9 comments:

lambton said...

Nice...

Well at least you were not at work.
The dirt bag shit rats...well F*ck them.
Droppies are hideous but they do indeed fight like down-town.

BTW...When they name a section of river after you I bet it will be the overflow at the Oak. I can see it now..."Gene Norlands Dirt Hole" and all the rubes will flock there to cast their rods in it. Gay...very gay!

Harv said...

Well done bro!

The Saugeen is a beautiful river but the masses there are one of a kind indeed!!

I have not checked out the Memorial yet - I much prefer the other side of the river so I have not accessed the river there for many, many years.

later

Trotsky said...

Yeah,
At least it was a day off and I saw some pretty birds and such but man what a freak show.
My favourite moment was watching some hill-billie fly fisherman "play" a beautiful 30 inch hen with his well presented fly hooked in the fishs ass. ..All the while puffing furiously on his stinky cigar...
Reminded me of some kind of friehgt rain from hell...
God I was hoping he'd have a heart attack....no luck...
Now he is well fed on Kelt Casserole...
POS

lambton said...

Sounds like steelhead sandwiches for weeks for that M'fer.
Mmmmmmmmm....
Are you sure it was a cigar and not a huge turd he was smokin.
Chuck-n-duck...now there is ethical fishing. Heather and I watched a couple rubes fight an ass-hooked chromer at Tippy Saturday afternoon. Classic act with his boyfriend in the middle of the river chasing the fish with a net. I swear they love netting fish more than hooking and fighting them. My wife (God bless her!) was mortified at the sight and said "that shouldn't be allowed!"
Now that there is good fishin...I'm certain that fish hit the smoker later that night.
People are garbage!

Trotsky said...

Find a happy place....
The lucky fish are the ones that finish their business early and are recovering out in the lake.
Back to work for me tomorrow...ugh

18 Mile said...

I think I fished the brown eye hole on the Oak! It is located where the two legs come together on the Oak.

The Geen looks very nice.

JDA said...

Glad to see that you got back up there. Try the same section of river (adjacent side) in late November, you will be alone, except for the fish.

Based on my two days there last week, I will take "moderate" fishing conditions ;)

Trotsky said...

Yeah...Joe A.
I got your email and thanks for the tip.
That Buck you landed is a great great fish!!!!!!!!
I hope he made a b-line for the big water after you released him...otherwise I don't like his chances.
I hear the home boys are petitioning the MNR for dynamite only section of water on the 'GEENER'.
Bit of a freak show for me but maybe if I made an effort when the SR pressure was a little lighter.
??
If a cow had wheels it'd be a milk truck...
The wide open aspect is kind of unique and makes it easy for the shoulder jumpers and makes it almost impossible to keep hook-ups on the DL..lol
18 Mile JOE...
Thx for stopping in and feel free to fish my name sake overflow at the Oak anytime.
The fish there typically will take a well presented treble hook in the arse.
:o)
Looks like you and your buddies have been gettin a few fish this spring.
I miss the fall...
I always miss the fall.
I just found out that a friend of mine will miss the opener due to illness.
:o/
Every day is a blessing and I will fish the opener for him.

lambton said...

If a cow had wheels it friggin have 1/2 a chance at getting away from you bum-rushin it Norland...

Freak...

Opener here we come...OMG