About Me

My photo
I am just a guy who uses fishing and playing guitar to keep myself sane...or at least try to.

Friday, April 10, 2009

Sawdust and Suicide


Harv is a gassy Mfer...
I have just returned from what could be the greatest fishing trip of my life. Morin , Myself , Harv and Arnold decided to scoot over to Michigans west side for a few days to take a run at the Manistee Steelhead.

This trip couldn't have been better timed for me and has done wonders to restore some happiness and peace to my wartorn embittered soul.

I have been to Michigan a number of times now and each time have enjoyed the trip but I have never really enjoyed any real Michigan Steelhead success...until now. Dare I say that my Michigan curse has been lifted?

The fishing wasn't crazy hot, but we all managed to catch some really great fish...(heavily slanted once again in that OCD POS Morins favour) ..in a really beautiful place.

Our usual mad dash MO was shelved this time and we decided to take it easy.


We rented a cabin in the woods right next to the river for two nights and we have all unanimously decided that this is the way to go from now on.

I actually feel rested...which is something that I generally don't associate with the end of a Steelhead trip.

I even got a break from driving.
Arnold volunteered...god bless him...and as a reward for his generousity the Steelhead gods almost threw a skunk at him. I was very impressed with the grace with which he endured that first day. I may have been tying a noose back at the cabin if it had been me with the goose-egg but Arnold was the first one up the next day and made everybody breakfast.
Class.

The next night he hit three fish inside of a half hour and the first one was a tank... ..A tank that made him its bitch ...but a tank none the less.

LOL
I think it is safe to say Arn is a good guy. How he ended up with us three sociopaths is anybodys guess.
We went into the trenches together at Bear Creek pulling a Steelie out of the lumber.

I had to hand him my rod while I negotiated a logpile. It was a funny moment that I will never forget. My first Bear creek Steelie and what a way to get it.

It was a nice group actually. All homos ..but nice.
Normally the group fishing thing doesn't appeal to me but I would run with this gang again...

It was cool to fish with Harv again and get to know him better.
He is now a confirmed POS and Rube alcoholic to whom which I somehow managed to pass on the Norland curse.

The homo spent half the trip retying and still managed to outfish me.

Fuck him.

The weather was sublime even though it brought out the fairweathers and made the fish a little more difficult.
Sometimes I will take the sunshine and warmth over a few more hook-ups. This was one of those occasions.

The Manistee National Forest is a place that I could find myself enjoying even if there were no fish. Deafening silence....

Well at least outside the cabin...
The Jetboats make me tired....but we are guests after all and most of the Michigan people were welcoming and friendly to the Canadians with the weird tackle. The Centrepin thing hasn't really taken hold yet and I cannot understand why. Those rivers are made for it and it really outproduces the local techniques. This trip managed to eat up a ton of our tackle....mostly floats oddly enough. It is funny / annoying that you can go several trips without losing anything and then empty your vest in one day. We tried to restock at the local tackle store but they didn't carry anything that remotely resembled what we use.
It was too bad because the service was off the chart.
Nothing like those miserable cunts out west.
I played tourist and bought myself a hat and a shirt and also joined the homo fisherman fanny pack club. Our counter man Turk even drew us maps and put me over the Bear Creek action.

Bear Creek is a beautiful little place that won't tolerate the combat gang fishing or the Jetboat armada.
Morin hated the place but it was right up my alley. 3 days of fresh air great fishing and even better company.
The area provides a great variety of fishing come to think of it.

I even watched Morin catch a fish off the side of a cliff!
Sawdust and Suicide. I can't wait to go back.
BTW... It should be noted that on the way home Morin actually suggested that we fish under the bridge the next day...
ON Easter Weekend...
That has got to be a cry for help...


There is no hope for that retard.
;0)
Good times Boys..

6 comments:

18 Mile said...

Congrats,Congrats!!!

You deserve it man!

Trotsky said...

Thx dude.
It was a great trip and you should definately put it on your 'to do' list.
The scenery alone is worth the travel.
Tight lines.
Gene

lambton said...

OMG...that is funny shit! Great read Norland you POS!
I knew I'd get your head around that place. It really is an awesome fishery only surpassed by our holy water.
Thanks for making it out there...It's always a good time when we can pull something like this together.
Here's to the next trip ;0)

GT said...

Nice recap Gene. I agree on the group fishing thing but it does have its time and place..... Nice bend in that rod. ( is it too gay to say that here? )

Trotsky said...

Too gay?
Depends what rod you are talking about..
lol
That is Harv in that pic with his new Raven stick.
Beautiful rod..for a pos he does really nice work.
It was a great trip and I am still there mentally.
Happy Easter

Harv said...

Good read Gene!! I realize that I need to take more pictures.

It was my most memorable trip to date - great location, great company and great fishing!! I am happy to have been a part of it.

I think "Big Turk" took shine to you - have you called him yet?? HOMO!

Good times buddy

HArv