About Me

My photo
I am just a guy who uses fishing and playing guitar to keep myself sane...or at least try to.

Monday, April 27, 2009

Opening Day 2009


I actually booked leave to fish opening day.
WTF is wrong with me??

This time of year really takes a chunk out of my vacation time. We usually do some fishing early in april and that requires a day or two. Each shift I book off is 12 hrs so it is really like losing a day and a half of time away...if that makes any sense.
I really come to regret it in the fall but there isn't any stopping it.
The short sightedness is part of the tradition.


The derby is looming. I can't not fish it.
Gerry ...my father in law...lives for this and I am his deckhand on the SS RUBE ...
It...unfortunately coincides with the opening season for Steelhead on most the rivers in Ontario and every year there are days on the open water when I am gazing past the downriggers... over the beach and trees....to some braided water with a flash of silver beckoning..
Spring fishing is a rite.
...a rite that must be observed.
Morin and I took a run the Steelies on Saturday.
The freakshow did not disappoint.
The sun was up ...the temps were balmy...the giant Smallmouth Bass were trying to eat our floats.. and the loonies with the eggbeaters were all ramped up.
It wasn't as bad as some years but it was still good for a few chuckles and a few head shakes.
Brian caught some great fish..as he always does...
I fumbled around like an idiot...like I sometimes do.
I hooked four fish...which in my book is very good considering the conditions and the fact that we fished nothing but second water all day.... but I lost three...two of the three were good to great fish that managed to break me off!!!?????
I know ...I know...
The Boo Birds will be all over me about the light line that I use....I already have had the lecture and this may be the last straw that brings me into modern times with the rest of you homos but...
I have put fish on the rocks with my current set up...big fish as well...
I don't get it?
...But that is fishing...


We had a great day...it was necessary.
The best part for me just happened to be the cold beer back at the access point.
The Opener in a weird perverse way seems to cap off a season for us rather than begin one and this year in retrospect was a great one...
..a blessing really.
Now if we can just endure summer Sept/OCT is not that far away..lol...
There is even talk of a June Atlantic salmon trip on the St Marys to break up the downtime.
:o)
The river has all new structure due to the Biblical flooding of last year.
The scars left over from mother natures fury were beyond belief and were worth the buggy sweaty walk even without the fish.


Some runs are ruined ...some are improved....some are brand new...
;o)
Low water re-con has value.
It poured rain on our way home and I am eagerly anticipating the water graph update...
It is only four days past due...not bad for a 'real time' water meter....
Useless Government employees ..
I have one more day off this week and I was hoping for another trip up but I do not like my chances ...
ah November....

10 comments:

Harv said...

Great read Gene,

I just cannot bring myself to burn up 12 hours vacation time for Opening Day - I would much prefer to save it for fall fishing. Don't get me wrong, I understand the lure of it but I am still ok having missed the spectacle.

It has been years since I fished the area you guys fish and I am sure it has changed dramatically. That drift you are fishing in Morin's video looks killer but I can't actually picture it. I will have to sneak in there with you two sometime this fall.

As for the graph - wtf?? I was hoping to fish Tues but not sure about conditions. You interested in checking things out tomorrow?? That rain might even afford some decent conditions on the Saugeen and Maitland next weekend!!

Give me a shout

Trotsky said...

I hear all that...
Word on the street is that it is a total mudfest out there and probably won't settle up until at least Thursday.
Looks like I will be fishing under the bridge tomorrow....lol
Keep in touch...
The only thing of value you missed on saturday were the ample opportunity to heap derision upon me and the cold beer...

lambton said...

I love cold beer.
Good write up and recap you 3.5lb flouro trotting HOMO.

All things aside it was a great day! Well all things aside except the bugs! I hate fishing with bugs.

BTW...are you gay for me now that I brought beer? What's with all the rube pics...

Trotsky said...

LOL...I accidentally deleted all my other pics...
...and besides whos kidding who...you are the rube king ..hegemon.

PaulGHurtubise said...

"The Opener ... seems to cap off a season for us rather than begin one"
Too true. If you think about it, for the fish, it is the end of the season. They've been waiting since Oct for the fun to start... and now it's done, and they gotta go back.

:(

What kind of degenerate wildlife is that, sitting on that rock? Looks like "Rubus Maximus"...

p.-

Trotsky said...

Bullseye!!!

lambton said...

All you homo's are gay for the visor!

Trotsky said...

That is the strangest thing you have ever and probably will ever typed..
So very sad

JDA said...

Jeeze, at 0.96m, you would almost have to resort to ledger fishing UK style with waggler floats, but I admire your bravery / insanity for fishing this time of year.

How was the big Carp sit-eeation in the deeper pools? Shame that the Sausage Man couldn't key in on those fish instead...Any sign of that S-rat?

Trotsky said...

It was relatively tame for opening day. we should've parked at our first spot all morning but the walk afforded us an opportunity to check out the results from the flooding.
This fall should be interesting.
I am not ruling out another trip this spring.
Gerry doesn't like to troll in the rain and the north wind shuts us down up at Kettle point...
I will pray for both.
;o)