About Me

My photo
I am just a guy who uses fishing and playing guitar to keep myself sane...or at least try to.

Monday, January 19, 2009

#8 ...and the year that destroyed our minds

2006 offered up Steelhead fishing that was absolutely beyond belief in our neck of the woods.
The rivers set up beautifully early on and stayed that way almost without exception until the close of the year.
The fish were unusually large and there were lots of them.
I will never forget it....ever.
2006 will be the measuring stick for all seasons to come.
I wasn't around for the golden years of the '80's but if they compared to the 2006 season it must've really been something.
Some days that season you'd just leave the river thinking almost that maybe you'd dreamt it.
Number 8 on my list is a Steelie from 2006.
There were a lot of really great fish caught that season and any number of them could've found there way onto here but this Brute of a fish is one that I come back to most frequently.

#8



This fish was caught Dec 17th on what looks like a relatively mild day.
It came on a day when both Brian and I caught a lot of fish.
I remember fighting it.
It stayed deep for a while and neither of us knew just how big it was but my shoulders were burning. Even in that cold water those fish are impressive...
They just don't quit.
It was a really cool fish...very healthy looking...and in the picture I look really happy.
??
I almost didn't recognize myself with a smile.

It would be nice if that kind of happiness came in a pill because I could use some right now.
Anyway ..that was a standout fish on a standout season and when I look back through my 2006 shots ..that is the picture that kind of symbolizes all of it for me.
This one was an 'Oinker'..for me anyway.
I have a sneaking suspicion that this picture will be one of the pictures that I will bore people with at the old folks home in between games of Euchre and pinching the nurses asses...if I live that long.
But who's kiddin who??
I can't imagine another season like it...and I don't think that Morin has ever been the same.
Great day and great fish.

4 comments:

lambton said...

Oh yes...I faintly remember that day. Had to go back and check the archieves ;0)
That is one pig for sure! Not the most memorable fish that I would have picked for you out of the 2006 season but a hog nonetheless. I kinda have a fond memory of a giant lady hooked at "the Rock" taking you way deep into the torrent before subsiding in the grass. Anyways I sure the fish I am talking about will make the list.
2006 was "off the hook"
I will never forget the day we took Jerry. That was the best day I every spent on a river! Insane...

18 Mile said...

Very Nice Sir...Very Nice

Trotsky said...

"The Hen from the Rock" will either be #1 or #2...I still haven't decided...lol...
The Gerry day would've made a top five best days on the river....ridiculous!!!!
...all except for watching him blow five in a row at the rock...WTF????
He is worse than someone else I know...

lambton said...

I hate that "someone else you know" Crazy Mf'er ;0)

I miss our river...