About Me

My photo
I am just a guy who uses fishing and playing guitar to keep myself sane...or at least try to.

Thursday, January 08, 2009

'They Ripped 'em Up...'

Well one of us did... lol Jeff Stuhan is the MAN! Yesterday Morin and I did something a little different. We hired a guide. doh! This is something I never thought that I would do.... Not that it was beneath me or anything ...because I am not like that...but more because of the fact that when I fish a river I am looking for an experience that I didn't think that I would be able to find with a stranger present,....particularly one that was actively involved in my day on the water. This is the same reason that I don't fish with just anyone ..and almost never in large groups. As usual Morin was able to talk me into it. It was easier for him this year because of the way the season over here ended for us. After the floods we both felt kind of cheated by mother nature and were eager to tie up again in order to get that monkey off our backs. Morin harps and harps about Michigan. You'd think the Mfer was getting kick-backs from the Dept of tourism over there. To be fair, I love it over there too, except for the fact that I can't seem to catch any fish over there. Jeff Stuhan of Jeffs Guide Service was to be the guy who could lift my curse. I don't know how Brian found out about this guy but I am really glad he did.

Jeff has one of these Jet boats that he uses to fish the Muskegon River. The Muskegon River is an awesome river with tons of big healthy fish that are full of piss but the river isn't one that is waded easily....At least that is the word on the street. I can understand now after fishing the river out of Jeffs boat that fishing it from a boat is really the only way to go. With his boat we were able to cover tons of water in a very short period of time and I was very surprised to find that we could even fish out of his boat comfortably with the float rods. Christ...Morin even brought his 15fter.
Jeffs intimate knowledge of the river and of where the fish hold coupled with the centre-pin trotting techniques we brought with us were the ticket on this cold winter day and we really put the boots to 'em. ...Heavily slanted in Brians favour of course. lol Oh well...what else is new. I don't need much ...but I do need something and I have to admit that I was really starting to sweat after Morin got up about 5 Zip. (POS) This is where I started to realize that Jeff Stuhan is more than just a guide. He is a Steelhead nut just like us and more importantly he is a great guy who I would fish with again in a heartbeat.
I could really tell that if I didn't get a fish that he was going to take it personally!!! Well I did finally get a fish....actually I was 2 for 6 on the day...which I will take any day...particularly this time of year on a river like this one. Getting the bait down with the pace just right and getting those hooks to stick when you're trotting through 7- 8 ft holes is a real trick and Morin really has a knack for it.
We all lost count of how many fish he got but it was well into double digits and for a five hour trip..that is awesome. The Michigan fish are no push-overs and it was pretty neat watching Jeff lift the anchor and break out the oars to give chase when the big ones would bolt down the river.

Brian got one legit 30 incher that really put on a show.
This thing was behind the boat ..in front of the boat ...under the boat... I was glad it was him...I know he needed that fish...and to be honest I don't think my back could've taken it. Great Day on a beautiful world class river with non stop Steelhead action for $200 split between two guys is a bargain in my book and I will encourage all my fish nerd buddies to give it a go. What a great way to extend the season for the Canadians and I can't wait to go back. Truth is I probably would've given Jeff $100 for that bag of venison pepperettes!!! :o)

22 comments:

18 Mile said...

Congratulations! You made my day boys. Great pics of the days success.

Trotsky said...

It was one of the most fun things that I have ever done and I would highly recommend it to anyone.
Hope your back is feeling better.
Gene

Harv said...

Well done G!!! I am glad you two did well. Sometimes January can be hit or miss as even a slight change in temp or pressure can shut them down.

That second pic is priceless!!! Does that pretty much sum up Morin or what... the look on his face and the way he is holding his 'rod'......??????????

Harv

Trotsky said...

Yeah it was awesome and I am already thinking about another trip.Jeff said he can get another boat so we could go with a party of four which would be interesting..
I would like to take a run at this again when it is really low and clear. The locals seem to dig it when it gets a real stain to it.
I hadn't noticed that Brina was masterbating in that picture...very disturbing. You'd think he would have the decency to wait until he got home...
Interesting that you would be looking at Brinas crotch????
...very gay of you....very gay indeed
:o)

Greg said...

If I took you guiding in Ohio, I would of crammed the both of you into a little rubber dingy.

That boat is sweet and I've heard good things about the Muskegon.

Trotsky said...

Yeah it is a great river and the fish are qaulity fish for sure.
It is too bad Morin is a piece of shit...makes for a long ride.
Venison pepperette burps were my only defence.
BTW...somebody need to invent fishing rod guides that are heated!!
..that was the only downer.

Trotsky said...

Brina?
...fuck I need some slep....

Harv said...

Brina... I thought maybe that was your pet name for him ... homos!!

Anonymous said...

That is some serious chromage, bromage. Well done.

Trotsky said...

Harv... I type too fast and drink too much...
Joe...that was a great day indeed.
Lots of fun and Jeff couldn't be less uptight. I look forward to fishing with him again.
BTW...my pet name for Brian is Shitstain...
I wonder when we'll see his BLOG??
He is probably somewhere whacked out on Starbucks Expresso Hazelnut Machiatto's...
I hope you guys checked out the last video I posted..
Thats how he does it...he doesn't line them ...he fucking lassoo's those Steelies!!!
lol

lambton said...

Oh my...Sorry for chiming in so late gents. I've been friggin wearing my finger prints off typing up my blog entry.
This shit is alot of friggin work and you M'fers demand quality.
Shit!
Only thing I can say about this trip is Wow!

Norland...Your pictoral approach with the mixed video is outstanding.

Also You are also a better person for knowing me ;o)

Greg, don't you float Ohio tribs on a dead hillbilly's? If so how much and we are in!

Harv and Joe...Save your quid boys cause you won't regret it!

For everyone...if drinking Starbucks Expresso Hazelnut Machiatto's makes me gay then I'm a friggin HOMO. That shit is the bomb although I may not be able to afford another guided trip if I keep drinking those things.

Trotsky said...

People who say 'quid' eat semen

Trotsky said...

BTW...
I broke out the camo neoprenes just for JOE!!!!
I know you dig those bad boys.

Wallacio said...

"I broke out the camo neoprenes"

We don't like your kind boy, with your fancy rubber pants! We're you also running the heavy gear ie 4lb leaders??? ;-)

Trotsky said...

I actaully broke down and ran 6lb tippet...????
They had me runnin scared...next time it will be straight 3 lb right from the reel...
Bitches!!!!....

Trotsky said...

BTW...when you say "we don't like your kind" I assume you mean heterosexual you taint licker...

lambton said...

"taint" Oh that's hot!

lambton said...

Oh ya...I almost forgot. Chowin-Down on those pepperette was the shit!

Trotsky said...

They were very good...
I would've "chowed down" on them too but I am not Jeff Spicolli...Dude....
POS

lambton said...

No...definately not. You are more of a "Mr hand" type...

:0.

Anonymous said...

Holy shit... you guys are hilarious. Strong work gentlemen!

Trotsky said...

Gentlemen?
Thems a fightin' words beyatch!!!!
Thx GT..
It was a really cool trip...no pun intended. I am already jonesin for another run at 'er. I feel like now that we know what to expect and how to approach it we could really kick some shit!!
LOL
Maybe if I got off my ass and returned my empties that are stacked in the garage!!!
hmmmmmm..
;o)