About Me

My photo
I am just a guy who uses fishing and playing guitar to keep myself sane...or at least try to.

Friday, January 02, 2009

Happy New Year....


We'll See..

Well the hangover has finally lifted and the haze has cleared...well at least cleared to the status quo.
We never did get that final fish in.
She was an angry river for most of the season and it was only fitting that the season would end with a flooding that was the worst seen in 30 years.
I hope the fishies had the sense to make a B-line for the lake.
Here I am flogging the water for the last time this season...


Maybe I would've toughed it out a bit longer if I'd thought that it was the last drift of the year...
It always manages to sneak up on ya and I suppose without getting too melodramatic or morbid we never know when that last drift will be do we?

I am glad the holidays are over. The kids were great and I love how happy the holidays make them. I have got good kids...really good kids and they deserve to be happy and I am really grateful that I am able to provide a decent life for them. That makes me feel good and Chrsitmas is a way for Kim and I to celebrate that together...but I can only sustain the warm and fuzzy for so long before it starts to wear me out.
I had one too many dinner parties last night.
Enough is enough.
During dinner last night my Father in Law informed me that The Bluewater Anglers were going to be purchasing eggs for the hatchery this year.
Apparently the collection up at Owen Sound and Thornbury didn't go so well.
I couldn't care less really...in my darkest moments I believe that their misguided efforts amount to little more than environmental terrorism...
Friggin Salmon....
He then went on to tell me that they were going to supplement the Salmon plantings with a type of trout that he had never heard of.
"It has a funny name in front of it"
??
Gerry is a good guy but a fish nerd he is not. lol
Being suddenly stimulated by a somewhat interesting turn in the conversation I roused myself from my drunken stupor and start firing names of fish at him.
He stopped me at Skamania.
"Yeah that could be it..I know it wasn't a Steelhead or a Salmon"
??
My Brother in Law piped up and informed us that a Skamania is half salmon and half trout.
Good to know.
These are the guys who are running our local hatchery....honestly.
I love the guy...dearly...but geez.
I received an email from him today that clarified it.
It wasn't Steelhead or Salmon ...it was Ganaraska Trout....ever heard of it?
These types of things make me depressed.
So it looks like the club instead of stocking their usual bunch of Kings are going to be dropping in Ganaraska Strain Steelhead...along with some Browns that the MNR is selling them.
I am not sure how to feel about this but I am sure they will have a higher rate of survival than the starving Tules....I just hope they don't screw up our river.
We used to get a mix of MI fish that would show up in the fall and they were quite a bit of fun. They always made for a nice guilt free bonk on the head for roe in the spring as well.
Who knows maybe the fishing will be good under the bridge again here in Sarnia?


Speaking of which the Philistines at Nova have locked me out of the Outflows this winter.
I have tried to get that Shitrat Morin to pull some strings for me ....but I think he is one of them...
...Of course it gives him a much stronger argument for the purchase of NR licenses this winter....
hmmmm...?
Come to think of it maybe he put the fence up??!!!!!!
Anyhoo...
I have added a new BLOGGER buddy to the Blog roll...
Its a new one and it looks like it is going to be interesting.
At the very least his writing has made me thankful to be returning to work this winter instead of searching for work....
Good luck out there Brother..

5 comments:

lambton said...

That fence will save your soul.
I don't care if there are a million chrome 10lb browns in that outflow. Fishing the effluent of a Major PetroChemical facility is wrong. It's just wrong dude...
I'd love to read those memoirs
"as I lobed a perfect cast adjacent to the concrete pipe emitting from the rusty steel breakwall... I had the sense of greatness forthcoming...my float meandered between the glowing algae covered rocks before plummeting into the depths of the mighty St Clair..." Oh please... I'm gonna puke...
NR MI and OH liscenses brother! We aren't gonna be somewhat young forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trotsky said...

People who say 'effluent' have a penchant for buggery..
The outflows are the bomb.
I put up with the stream fishing all year and wait impatiently for the OUtfows to come into their own...nothing like a Steelie with a bellie full of gobies and sores all over it...

Greg said...

Happy New Year's Gene, I'm sorry that I had to rub it in with the latest fishing report.

Does that mean I'm a homo?

Trotsky said...

LOL
To you too Greg!
As for the Homo thing...well ..the pink reel certainly places you under suspicion.
;o)

lambton said...

You are both Homos!