About Me

My photo
I am just a guy who uses fishing and playing guitar to keep myself sane...or at least try to.

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Sunday Afternoon...

Today Brian and I took some of the kids ice fishing. It was kind of a last minute decision that sent me scrambling through all the junk in my garage looking for gear that I knew I would never find. Finally after even trying to mooch some gear off friends I headed off to WALMART where I was able to outfit the entire group for right around $40. ....Right around what a case of beer would've cost me. LOL Good old WALMART. Anyway we didn't have far to go. The Pond is right out Brians back door. A quick trip to BUCKS BAITS for a few dozen minnows and we are in. Brian wasn't sure if we would even catch anything. This would be his first hardwater attempt out there but we must've gotten lucky and drilled out holes right above a giant school of Bluegill. Everybody caught fish ...and lots of them!! My daughter insisted that she catch the fish "all by herself"...and most of the time she succeeded!! Priceless day....very good for the soul. Gillies are very cool fish and I associate them with smiles and lowered blood pressure. They are also very beautiful. I just finished tucking Owen and Ella into bed and they both made me promise to take them ice fishing again. :o)

6 comments:

lambton said...

Priceless afternoon! I think we have a couple of girls that may give us a run for our money on the rivers in the very near future.
Good times. Thanks for the rods and bait. You saved the day!
Can't wait til next weekend.

Anonymous said...

Very cool guys. A pond in the backyard? NICE!!!..... I drove a stupid distance yesterday but the perch were worth it.

What's next, steelhead through the ice? ;)

Wallacio said...

Very nice guys...soon you'll have a brood of fellowing fishing fanatics.

I hope to get Lily out when she's old enough - will be a good excuse for Daddy to go!!!

BTW if you really want to get them "hooked" on fishing, plan a day this summer to a remote Brook Trout stream...to this day I still my remember my first trip through forests and swamps and when I caught my first one of those elusive little jewels.

Trotsky said...

Remote Brook trout stream eh???
Do you know of any???
lol
It is funny with my kids...Owen could take it or leave it..
He spent most of his time playing with the tobogans but Ella didn't want to stop at all. She just loves it.
I think she is the one.
lol
GT..yes Morin has a pond right in his backyard....NICE!
I am very serious when I say that I like fishing for Bluegill almost as much as Steelhead.
I used to head out after work with the Flyrod to a local farmpond and fish for they in the summer.
Sadly the farmer has decided to fill in his pond.
I may have to talk numbnuts into tying up a 2 wt and some bugs.

lambton said...

Should have blurred out those backgrounds I guess. Last couple of days there have been peeps fishing the ice. I haven't seen that but once or twice in my 11 years here. LOL!!!!
The word is out...

Trotsky said...

Nice..
lol
It probably isnt even guys fishing with kids.
Probably hoards of meathunters eating them as they remove them...sad ...sad...
That place will be fished out by Saturday for sure...
:o/
lol